Granny's Bonnets in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granny's Bonnets in pots

I'm just having a bit of a random thought about our Aqui-whatsits (aka Granny's Bonnets).

I grew some from seed last year &, being biennials, they're flowering this year as expected. Grown in open soil I'd leave them to self-seed & hope for them to establish themselves for coming years. When I've grown them that way in the past they've done really well (to the extent of having to dig up & donate/compost unwanted plants).

I don't have open ground to grow them in now but I'd thought to myself that I'd do the same with the pot-grown ones (i.e. leave them to their own devices) but, as they aren't perennial, it's just dawned on me there's a decent chance that's unlikely to work.

Does anyone grow Granny's Bonnets in pots? If so, do they readily self-seed or do you re-sow yourself each year?

I have in the past - I just cut off the seed heads as they mature and sprinkle them back into the tub. Never failed me.
    Actually, come to think about it, I’m pretty sure my plants are perennial !
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos.

A quick google confirmed your wisdom - Granny's Bonnets are indeed perennial

It's not just yours it seems (although with your milder climate I had wondered if it would be the case in the UK as they die right back at the end of autumn in my neck of the woods).

Great news for me & my pots

Comment

I planted some aquilega yesterday, I was going to put them in pots but in the end I managed to squeeze them into a bed in the end. I'd pot them up for sure! I'm a big fan of growing anything and everything in pots!
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Mine die right back over winter- we have very wet, cold winters here!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've found it depends on the type. Some are more fussy of my wet ground but if I have them on a slope and they don't sit so wet they return.
            The others just self seed all over the place
            Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X