No announcement yet.

Back Injury = Digging Dilema

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your problems Wizer, it must be very frustrating.

I did the no dig method last year - no back problems, but age doesn't allow me to dig too much! And it worked. I have been very impressed. I did a thread explaining what I had done, but not sure where now. At least you would feel that you were achieving something.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Wizer as Andrew said , Join the Club!!

Don't know if anyone else has suggested it but Terrex used to make a spade that was sort of Automatic. They are no longer made but can be found 2nd hand, these are good as you don't bend to dig, you just put it in the ground & then pull the handle back & it turns the soil over for you.

Failing that an Azada ( not the supermarket) may be the answer, again I'm told they take some getting used to but I'm thinking of trying on for the very same reason Wizer.

Don't forget that you are doing a strenuous excersise so you should really warm up before you start & wrm down after wards ..... nobody ever does thoug
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

WIZer, don't give up.

I know what you're saying about letting anyone else on your plot. I'm the same (and with my kitchen) you think you'd love some help and then when someone does you're spitting feathers cos they don't do it properly.

Try the no-dig approach (took me ages to accept this - I was brought up the old fashioned way - no pain, no gain etc) but if you can bear to cover the worst bits with carpet or black plastic it really does work. Raised beds will help as long as you can get rid of perennial weeds before hand.

Good luck and stick in there - where there's a will there's a way!

Comment

Hi Wizer, sorry to hear about the bad back, I used to suffer myself, was laid up for 2 weeks once and had to have an ambulance come and take me to hospital for a shot of painkiller as I couldnt get out of bed when it went! Iyengar Yoga sorted it out long term, it improved the flexibility and strength of the muscles in a big way, plus left me feeling wonderful! I still retain the muscle strength and flexibility now, even though I rarely get the time to do as much Yoga as I used to (before marrying Mr D I used to do 1 1/2 hours Yoga and aerobics a night, size 10 and very fit then, not quite so trim nowadays!! lol)

Pilates is akin to Iyengar Yoga in a lot of ways, I do hope it helps and you stick it out, and that your pain becomes less and the injury recovers! Please let us know how you get on! Good luck and best wishes!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi Wizer

Sorry to hear about your back - the digging can wait till next year, it will still be there. I tried a sports therapist which sorted my back out in the short term and now do yoga. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that so many others take part too. We all do too much on occasion and it is hard to walk away and say enough is enough but backs are important and need looking after. Hope you are not in too much pain.

jl

Comment

In the latest Garden Organic magazine there is a lovely article on sorting out your weedy beds with no digging.

1. strim or cut off weeds, and dig out any really big tough ones like brambles (maybe get someone to help you do this, though your Azada will do the job brilliantly). Get big sheet of cardboard and lay the sheets out like tiles overlapping them by 15 - 30 cm so that no light gets through the 'seams'.

2. Hold the cardboard in place with a 10 - 15cm deep layer of garden compost, rotted manure, good (weed free - is there such a thing?) topsoil, fallen leaves, leafmould, soft shredded prunings or a combination of any or all of these. Heavy wads of spoiled straw or hay are alo useful, or use stones or bricks to hold the cardboard down.

A 'finishing touch' can be added by a laying a 5cm deep layer of straw to keep the mulch looking tidy.

If done now, come spring you will have lovely earth and no weeds. Obviously some perrenials may still come through, but should be fairly easily pulled up.

Look after your back, and I do hope you manage to continue with your lottie!

Comment

hi Wizer

I see we're from the same part of the woods, If you want i can try to help total novice just got my own plot a couple of weeks ago, so you could just boss me around abit.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your back sounds terrible!!

My dad used to suffer terribly with his back until someone suggested going to the gym he had a consultation and they recommended some reverse sit ups to strengthen the lower back muscles apparently most people strengthen their stomach muscles but forget to work the opposite ones. He never had a problem since!! I suspect though that is what yoga and pilates will do as well.
                  Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

Hello Wizer.
                    Sorry to see you have problems with your back, I also have a lower back problem which gives me bad gip now and again. I have two raised beds that I find are comfortable to work on as there is no heavy digging I also do yoga which I find helps me a lot,whatever excersise you decide to do I hope it improves your situation. Dont lose heart. Skipper.
                    Skipper

Chinese Proverb - He who asks a question is a fool for a minute; he who does not remains a fool forever

Comment

Pilates should sort you out a treat Wizer. I've done it for some years and use the principles when I'm digging. I dig as little as possible though and, like you, have gone the raised beds and mulch route.

I've bits of plot that I know I won't get dug this year so have covered in black poly and tarpaulin. I haven't been organised enough to get muck under it but 'there's always next season' - my eternal mantra! (Most other gardeners' too, I reckon)

Good luck nad here's to the next season!

Comment

Pilates is definitely good for a bad back - assuming your instructor knows what to do (it's not that well regulated to say the least!) you'll notice the difference in a few weeks. Have been doing it for the for the last year and a half and it's been great (OH likes the fact that's toned up my stomach muscles too!). Now am far more aware of body posture and how to select which muscles I use for a particular movement. Just a word of warning, you probably won't get it the first week or so but stick with it and you'll soon be out on the lottie again.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi Wizer
                          I have a couple of Azada's and they are excellent. I was able to dig a large part of my allotment non stop and at the end of it the only discomfort i had was from the fall out as i lifted the blade above my head (if you try one of these, wear a hat). Using a spade always hurts my back after a whil but with these tools i had no problems. Good move on the Pilates. You could also think of trying a Tai Chi class. I teach in my local area and the gentle exercise is very good for this kind of injurie. Just another option for you to think about. A combination of a few things should help in the end

Martin

Comment

I too am a Tai Chi instructor for arthritis and back pain - aswell as being a physio , hydrotherapist and acupuncturist.
                            All your advice is very sound....possibly because of personal experience?!
                            Sorry you have suffered Wizer, but at least it's not put you off.
                            With a bit more time; and a bit of little and often ; and a bit of TLC with slow , steady strengthening of your 'core stabilizers' and adapting your gardening techniques, you'll be fitter/leaner and healthier than me!!! ( not difficult!! )
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi all

I just wanted to say how greatful and moved I was by all your replies. It's just amazing the amount of support and encouragement that exists on this forum. You all have enthused me a great deal. When I started this thread I was feeling prety down and depressed with it all. What a difference a few days makes!

I started the Pilates today, it was daunting when I walked in and was the only male! It turned out ok in the end, the instructor was great and I found the class challenging but not too difficult. Will hope to get there twice a week until xmas.

Based on the good advice in this thread and further reading on 'No-Dig', I have started to formulate a plan of action. I really like the cardboard methos and will almost deffinately use this. Fortuneatly I have a good supply of cardboard boxes, should only take me a week or 2 to get enough to cover a good sized area. Even after one year of allotmenteering, its still hard to work out what to put where. Me and the missus took a walk up the allotments earlier today and I have been 80% talked into giving up my first plot. It'll be a great shame to see it go, alot of hard work went into it this year. But keeping both going in my current state is probably silly. Also it's a bit selfish of me to keep an allotment that may not get fully used. It's hard to let it go tho. On the upside the new plot is a bit bigger than the current one and its got the poly tunnel (even tho it needs repairing.)

NTTP: That's a kind offer but I know what the first year is like, you'll be too busy to help anyone! Where is your site out of interest?

No. 1 Suspect: Where is your class? Might be something i'd try.

Again, huge thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by WiZeR View Post
                                ....I started the Pilates today, it was daunting when I walked in and was the only male! It turned out ok in the end, the instructor was great and I found the class challenging but not too difficult. .....
                                Once your Slim and fit like I'm not you'll have t beat them off with a stick Wizer Good on yah, you've done the hardest part going to lesson No1!!!
                                ntg
                                Never be afraid to try something new.
                                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X