X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Who's that then..............?

BB.......who else?.........
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      BB.......who else?.........
      Agreed - he's a well respected Tangentalisator

Comment

• Indeed it was me that was leading VC astray with all this talk of tree types & their uses mayhap we could build a charcoal pit in the wood & pollard some hazel so as you can have your own carbon supply so as to get your plants the best start every year

See how I got it back on track there
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
          ........ mayhap we could build a charcoal pit in the wood & pollard some hazel so as you can have your own carbon supply so as to get your plants the best start every year

See how I got it back on track there
          You keep your hands off - I'm short enough as it is!!!

Comment

• He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Comment

• a sign for every occasion

Comment

• Now I know I am only a simple plumber type chap, but I am still trying to work out how a tonne of biochar can lock away 3 tonnes of CO2 and still weigh............ just a tonne.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• I still think this Biochar stuff is a bit of a con

Comment

• Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                    I still think this Biochar stuff is a bit of a con
                    No rusty it is just a modern "spin" on an old idea,as are many "modern ideas",carbon in any form used as a soil additive has been around for quite some time
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Comment

• Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                      Mmm, that's what I thought. Expensive vegetables. I had 25 barrowloads of manure from a local farmer for £10. Didn't weigh it though for fair comparison.
                      A barrowload of poo would weigh between 25 and 30kg, at a rough guesstimate
                      Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

• Basic question from the newbie.

How exactly does this vary from putting the grate scrapings from awoodburning stove onto my garden? My colleague can give me loads of those for free!
                        Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

• Good point to raise and nice to see a constructive post!

The O2 adds 2 parts mass to 1 part C, making CO2 weigh 3X C. This is just the start though as you also cut emissions when the charcoal improves soil structure and avoids methane and nitrous oxide.

Less fertilisers means less emissions from their fossil-fuel-based manufacture and shipping. Plus the more productive soil runs more photosynthesis than before, so you get more biomass as future food, forests and biochar!

This is on our site, Methodology - Carbon Gold

Carbon Gold is the world’s leading biochar company with a range of Soil Association approved GroChar products - peat-free composts, soil improver and fertiliser - which all contain biochar, seaweed, wormcasts and mycorrhizal fungi.

Carbon Gold's aim is to support and promote sustainable food production and improved food security through biochar products and related projects. Biochar naturally improves soil structure, enhances soil fertility and boosts soil health whilst sequestering atmospheric carbon dioxide for hundreds of years.

Carbon Gold have also developed a range of kilns for low cost biochar production. www.carbongold.com

Comment

• As with everything in life - don't knock it until you've tried it!

Carbon Gold is the world’s leading biochar company with a range of Soil Association approved GroChar products - peat-free composts, soil improver and fertiliser - which all contain biochar, seaweed, wormcasts and mycorrhizal fungi.

Carbon Gold's aim is to support and promote sustainable food production and improved food security through biochar products and related projects. Biochar naturally improves soil structure, enhances soil fertility and boosts soil health whilst sequestering atmospheric carbon dioxide for hundreds of years.

Carbon Gold have also developed a range of kilns for low cost biochar production. www.carbongold.com

Comment

• Just to put the record straight - I'm not knocking biochar - just trying to understand the process. How input relates to output and so on. All the science speak is beyond me.
                              I garden organically, don't use artificial or manufactured fertilisers but I do have some woodland. So visualising a tree and how it can be transformed into biochar is the way that makes sense to me. I am but a simple soul

Comment

• You have to burn it long and slow though and you're not thinking of doing that to lovely trees, are you?
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X