Sloe Gin again! - What sort of gin ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old thread!
    I have made sloe gin with the cheapest gin going, every year for at least the past 6. I don't faff-about pricking sloes, I add dry sugar to the jars of sloes, shake violently to let the sugar abrade the skins, then leave a short while (48 hours in a warm place) before topping up the jars with gin.
    I then stir daily until the sugar is well dissolved, and then forget about it until close to Christmas.
    The finished drink isn't always perfectly 'clear', but it tastes pretty good!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob G View Post
      Has anyone experimented to see if the quality of the gin is important ?
      I use Tesco basic usually, I did once use Aldi "spirit" which was only 20% but still worked

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
      cheap is good! dont forget to prick the sloes
      I don't bother pricking, I just freeze them & then shake vigorously in the bottle
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sloes picked today, and gin purchased a couple of days ago. Here we go again

Comment

Had my damsons in for a couple of weeks now (froze first, as was short of time.. most of the flesh ruptured so saved me pricking them ). Still haven't seen any sloes around here!

Comment

Got sloes, damson and bullace gin/vodka brewing as we speak and loads more in the freezer. I do prick but also tried squashing some lightly with a potato masher. I always buy cheapest. Went into town t'other day to try Lidl and Ugo. Was a bit annoyed to find they are no cheaper than asda and mozzas. No Aldi close by (yet) either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X