Fruit juice concentrate

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit juice concentrate

My beloved brought home from work last night(he works for a company that supplies pure fruit juices) gallon bottles of pure cranberry juice,orange juice and raspberry juice.Does anyone know how these can be transformed into wine(or anything else)
    And if anyone lives near Newton Abbot in Devon and would like to share in this bounty,let me know.
    I am also a recipient of frozen fruit,strawberries,cherries etc.and hate to see them go to waste.

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
    My beloved brought home from work last night(he works for a company that supplies pure fruit juices) gallon bottles of pure cranberry juice,orange juice and raspberry juice.Does anyone know how these can be transformed into wine(or anything else)
    And if anyone lives near Newton Abbot in Devon and would like to share in this bounty,let me know.
    I am also a recipient of frozen fruit,strawberries,cherries etc.and hate to see them go to waste.
    Forgot to say,these are 100% fruit juice concentrates!

Comment

Boy oh boy do I wish I lived near you!!!

Buy yourself a book called Introduction to Winemaking by C J J Berry, it has some great recipes.

I will PM you a link to a wine making website which will give you access to lots of recipes for making wine with juices.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Polly

Given that for winemaking the fruit is juiced or pulped anyway, it should be plain sailing. CJJ Berry's First steps in winemaking includes one recipe where the sole ingredients are canned orange juice, canned pineapple juice, sugar, water, yeast and pectic enzyme (why did I want to type peptic enzyme?)

KK

Comment

If they are pure juices you should be fine Polly. Take care with labels though. Anything with an artificial sweetener will never ferment out to taste 'dry' - you'll always have an underlying sweetness. Sometimes this isn't stated obviously - they may say - 'no added sugar' which can mean they have added something else!
          I once had a real disappointment with a pineapple juice which had artificial sweetner in. It was just yukky when fermented.
          Lucky you!
          Last edited by Flummery; 12-10-2007, 03:09 PM.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            Boy oh boy do I wish I lived near you!!!

Buy yourself a book called Introduction to Winemaking by C J J Berry, it has some great recipes.

I will PM you a link to a wine making website which will give you access to lots of recipes for making wine with juices.

Many thanks for that,what an interesting site.I have many wine-making books,including Berry's,but nothing on concentrates.
            These,I find are absolutely fruit and nothing else,hence the short shelf life and their journey home with Jim.

Comment

Many thanks for that,what an interesting site.I have many wine-making books,including Berry's,but nothing on concentrates.
              These,I find are absolutely fruit and nothing else,hence the short shelf life and their journey home with Jim.
              There is a thread on there about making wine from supermarket juice - did you find it?

The basic idea seems to be to get the SG to around 1.08, add some yeast nutrient and yeast and leave it to ferment out to dry. I have done this with red grape juice but added red wine concentrate to give it a bit more body. It turned out pretty good.

Good luck with it. If your other half fancies a detour round Pembrokeshire on his way home.....
              Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Have 15galls of wine on the go in three five gall. fermenters.Anyone in Devon,I have 10kg boxes of redcurrants,strawberries and cherries ALL needing a home before they go on the compost heap-----HELP!!!!!

Comment

Have 15galls of wine on the go in three five gall. fermenters.Anyone in Devon,I have 10kg boxes of redcurrants,strawberries and cherries ALL needing a home before they go on the compost heap-----HELP!!!!!
                  Oh how I wish I could help.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

So near yet so far.....

I have a meeting in Totnes .... but not until a week Thurs....
                    Boo!

Comment

Jam????
                      or....
                      How about buying some of those ready made sponge flan bases and make some tarts with cream to share with your neighbours/friends- tell them they'll be helping you out!( eat with you and take one home)
                      Nothing like an impromptu party
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                        I have a meeting in Totnes .... but not until a week Thurs....
                        Boo!
                        We are merely 15 mins from Totness, we could meet you or you could collect.I need the freezer room and hate to waste anything.I need the freezer room for dog meat!!

Comment

Uck.

I need the freezer room for dog meat!!
                          I prefer a nice chicken myself, or a beef joint. BUT hey who are we to judge.!
                          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                            I prefer a nice chicken myself, or a beef joint. BUT hey who are we to judge.!
                            Don't knock it 'til you've tried it

Comment

100% concentrate

Actually I have tried dog food, tastes a bit like the content of some meat pies, mainly roo meat. Have also tried cat food which is quite nice.
                              But anyway you are one lucky person to have so much produce to use, shame that I live in the south east. You need to find out how concentrated you juices are but it will only affect the concentration of the flavour.
                              It is a trade off, the more fruit the less sugar required the more flavour. The less fruit the more sugar required the less the flavour.
                              You can produce the same strength ABV drink either way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X