No announcement yet.

Sloe Gin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They look great - what a gorgeous gift. I like the bottles. I use those third size wine bottles.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

What lovely looking presents, I bet they'll be very well received.
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hmmm, every recipe says a different amount of sugar, from 8oz per lb of sloes, to 30oz.

I went with the 12oz frost recommended.

I'm trying sloe gin (which my mum has always made and I've always stolen!) and sloe vodka, will see how they turn out.
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I've just picked 1lb of sloes from our hedge, perfectly ripe! I shall put them in the freezer and get some gin when I do the shopping tomorrow!
          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

I've got sloes and bullaces in the freezer just waiting for me to buy some gin. Got some brambles too so I can so some vodka with them.
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

Freezing helps release the juice from the fruit too. I have 2 jars of sloes with sugar and gin, and 2 jars with just sugar (gin to be added later today)
              Last year's 4 jars made about 1½litres of sloe gin.
              Also got some strawberries 'soaking' in sugar. Plan on straining off the syrup and blending with vodka.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                Is it possible to make SLOE VODKA???
                ive made some damson vodka
                put pricked damsons into a demmijohn to 4" from the top add 2 tbs granulated suger top off with vodka, put a top on it and shake once a week. did at the end of august so will be ready for crimbo...

Comment

Do you drink sloe gin on its own or with a mixer? I made some a week or so ago and tried a tiny bit yesterday. It was bloomin awful just like neat gin! It wasn't sweet as I expected so I wonder if I need to add more sugar? I know it needs to mature until Christmas but if yestrdays tasting is anything to go by it will be just pink G&T
                  http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
                    Do you drink sloe gin on its own or with a mixer? I made some a week or so ago and tried a tiny bit yesterday. It was bloomin awful just like neat gin! It wasn't sweet as I expected so I wonder if I need to add more sugar? I know it needs to mature until Christmas but if yestrdays tasting is anything to go by it will be just pink G&T
                    I like to mix it into a Sloe Gin Rickey:

Ice
                    1oz Sloe Gin
                    1oz fresh lime juice or lime cordial
                    Fill with lemonade
                    stir

Went to a house party a while ago with a couple of bottles and took pink lemonade with me, that way I knew I'd have a supply all night as who else would choose pink lemonade!
                    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                    Snadger - Director of Poetry
                    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
                      How long did you leave the sloes soaking in the gin? I wouldn't consider it 'made' until Christmas, from this year's sloes.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Right. Sloes picked, gin bought, demijohn sterilised: guess what I'm doing today?
                        Sloe Gin Recipe Page
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You're using a demijohn?
                          I'd have thought gin bottles or kilner jars or something would be a bit more straightforward (and a lot easier to clean up after!)

I've got maybe 5kg (11 lbs) or more of the things... gonna be making wine, gin whiskey and maybe some sort of jelly/preserve/thing of some sort with the leftovers if I decide I've made enough aloholoic beverages.

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
                            I'd have thought gin bottles or kilner jars or something would be a bit more straightforward
                            nope: one 5 litre demijohn is much easier to fill, shake and eventually clean than 6 individual gin bottles
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Easier to if just filling and shaking? I'd be more than likely to just recycle the bottles after as more will be inbound for the next batch of gin.

I've never made the stuff before so not speaking from experience here, but still kinda leaning towards jars.

Comment

Can I make a suggestion?

Rather than using ordinary granulated sugar, try a batch of sloe gin using light soft brown sugar - it gives a deeper colour and a more 'toffee' flavoured end product which mellows with time. Some 3 year old sloe gin I still have is absolutely gorgeous using brown rather than white sugar.

Skotch <hic>
                                Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X