No announcement yet.

Sloe Gin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We picked sloes a couple of weeks ago, bushes loaded, got home and weighed... 5lb.
    Not been back there again, but I suspect not many pickers up that way....
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• Well I finally got some gin so today I have put 935g of sloes and bullaces and 650g sugar in with 1 litre of gin. Do you think I could get away with another litre of gin in that or should I just go for a 70cl bottle? It is in a demijohn so plenty space for more.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

• I'm no good at weights, Shirl! When I make mine the fruit usually fills between a quarter and a third at the start, and I fill it to quite near the top with booze.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Thanks G4, will put another litre in then
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

• It doesn't matter to me if there's too much liquid, as the longer you leave it, the better it will be. Being tight, I leave it for a good six months before removing the fruit. Usually longer because I'm busy in the Summer, and only remember when the autumn fruit starts appearing!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Well I guess I am too late for this crimbo anyhoo so it will prolly get left till next year!
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

• My sloe gin smells like pulled Christmas crackers can anyone explain why please?
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

• What, like sulphur?

Comment

• Kinda - is that bad news?
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

• Ooh I dunno, sounds a bit odd. I just had a whiff of ours and it smells like you'd expect it to. Have no idea what would make it smell like that, sorry. Hopefully some clever folks on here will though.
                      ETA actually just had a thought - it could just be gases escaping. I seem to remember when me mum asked me to look after her bottles of elderflower and unscrew the tops while she was away, they smelled a bit gasey. Try smelling them in a few days see if it's gone.
                      Last edited by Shadylane; 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• After reading these posts I'm a bit worried as the recipe I have says8oz sloes and 20z sugar to 12 fluid oz gin- everone here seems to be using much more sugar- should i add more?

Comment

• The quantity of sugar affects the sweetness & viscosity of the end product.
                          Personally I use a pound + a pound in a pint.
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Originally posted by raine View Post
                            everone here seems to be using much more sugar- should i add more?
                            It's down to personal preference: if it's too sharp, add a bit more sugar

My problem is I keep needing to top the darn things up with gin ~ it's evaporating

okay, I keep having sips to see if it's "ready"
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Hi al - newbie here

From my wine making days do I presume rightly you sterilise everything before use.

My friend lives out in the sticks and hes just brought me load in - only a1lb though is that enough for a batch
                              82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

• Originally posted by frost View Post

1lb sloes(prick fruit with a cocktail stick)
                                12oz sugar
                                1 bottle of gin
                                Originally posted by janzbro View Post
                                My friend ... just brought me load in - only a1lb though is that enough for a batch
                                yep

jagyephafea
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X