Sloe Gin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Here is a picture of Sloes...as you can see they are like small Damsons/plums

You can find them in old hedgerows and they are the fruit of the Blackthorn.

They are about 1/2" to 3/4"long (12mm to 20mm) and are very bitter to the taste...hence the amount of sugar required in the recipe!
    Actually that is a picture of wild Damsons Snadger. They are closely related anyway and also given to cross pollination so you can get all sorts betwixt and between.
    The way to tell a Damson from a Sloe is look for a 'bum'
    Sloes are smaller and totally round. You will find larger ones which are also round. Damsons have that little division which if you look at the picture posted is nicely clearly seen on the one bottom to the left.

I make Sloe Gin and Vodka then use the booze laden fruit the following year to make Sloe Vodka/Gin jelly which is great served with Game or any other meat/poultry. The Damsons can be used the same way or I often mix them with wild apples for a delicious jam. Fantastic flavour. Wild food has such an amazing flavour.*drool*
    Damsons and Sloes are much earlier this year due to the hot spell. I picked a week ago ( I'm south coast) and noticed some were already withering on the branches so definitely not too early.
    Last edited by pickledtink; 23-09-2006, 05:58 PM. Reason: mistake in description

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found some damsons near the sloes I picked. Wasn't sure whether they were damsons or bullaces.

Re recipes. I found one for haw brandy. Made exactly the same way as sloe gin/vodka etc.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Last year I made blackcurrant vodka, then when it was ready made blackcurrant
        vodka jam from all of the would have been discarded vodka soaked blackcurrants. Yummy!

Comment

One of my little books suggests taking the stones out of the alcohol soaked sloes and doing similar or using to top icecream etc.

Bliss! Not one to share with the kids
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Ok, I've picked a pound & a half of sloes today.(the farm hedgecutter was right behind me!) Just bought a litre bottle of gin from Tesco's.........and then realised I'd forgotten to buy the sugar. How much sugar do you reckon I will need?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

All sorted now I hope! Put the sloes in with 1 1/2 lb sugar amd the gin into a clean demijohn!
              I know now why the freezing sloe's suggestion is popular! What a pain in the butt sitting pricking each individal sloe! Still hopefully, it will be worth it!!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                Thanks for the info. I found some damsons near the sloes I picked. Wasn't sure whether they were damsons or bullaces.
                What's a bullace ?
                Last edited by FoxHillGardener; 03-10-2006, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post

Re recipes. I found one for haw brandy. Made exactly the same way as sloe gin/vodka etc.
                  Haw Brandy? I'll try that. I use Haws in my Hedgerow Jelly but have often wondered what else I could do with them.

Comment

Just shook the bottle again.......still see to have three seperate entities in there? How long before they start to mix?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Good site for anything alcoholic is this one http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/
                      I fancy trying the banana ones but will wait to see if my sloe gin works first.

Comment

Hi All,
                        This link takes you to site dedicated to sloes, hope it's some use. http://www.sloe.biz/pip/index.php
                        Bye
                        Compo

Comment

Originally posted by compostman View Post
                          Hi All,
                          This link takes you to site dedicated to sloes, hope it's some use. http://www.sloe.biz/pip/index.php
                          Bye
                          Compo
                          Interesting site compo! Many thanks!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I now have 4lbs of sloes in the freezer, so just need to get the gin and sugar in!
                            Thanks for your help!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mine all nicely mixed and lovely purple colour, have even got the interest of my very non out doorsy sister in law who came picking with me(admittedly in big yellow marigolds so she wouldn't break a nail!)

Comment

Originally posted by pickledtink View Post
                                Actually that is a picture of wild Damsons Snadger. They are closely related anyway and also given to cross pollination so you can get all sorts betwixt and between.
                                The way to tell a Damson from a Sloe is look for a 'bum'
                                Sloes are smaller and totally round. You will find larger ones which are also round. Damsons have that little division which if you look at the picture posted is nicely clearly seen on the one bottom to the left.

I make Sloe Gin and Vodka then use the booze laden fruit the following year to make Sloe Vodka/Gin jelly which is great served with Game or any other meat/poultry. The Damsons can be used the same way or I often mix them with wild apples for a delicious jam. Fantastic flavour. Wild food has such an amazing flavour.*drool*
                                Damsons and Sloes are much earlier this year due to the hot spell. I picked a week ago ( I'm south coast) and noticed some were already withering on the branches so definitely not too early.
                                When the time comes to separate the sloe sludge from the now yummy sloe gin try putting your sloe sludge into a bottle of cheepo fino sherry. Shake every day for a few days; leave for a few weeks/months depending on taste.
                                Lightly chill, sip, slurp quaff, whatever. Nirvana!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X