Sloe Gin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hils View Post
    When the time comes to separate the sloe sludge from the now yummy sloe gin try putting your sloe sludge into a bottle of cheepo fino sherry. Shake every day for a few days; leave for a few weeks/months depending on taste.
    Lightly chill, sip, slurp quaff, whatever. Nirvana!
    Sounds like a goodun hils! Is fino the light coloured sherry?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

you seem to have got some good replies. go easy on the sugar unless you have a sweet tooth. I've just made some Huckleberry Gin, its a fabulous bluey purple colour! I added some local honey rather than sugar as it helps to repel infections more and of course has a far more interestin and complex taste. x

Comment

I know its a bit early but have just opened a bottle of this years sloe vodka (picked & made 09/10/06) and it shurprishinlgly tashty!!!!!!!!!!!! hic************** zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Reminds me....must get my sloe gin bottled!

What did you do with the sloe's you took out compo?
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Bottled the sloe gin tonught! Out of a litre bottle of gin I finished up with the bottle being re-filled (1L) and an empty half bottle of brandy filled as well!

What's even better is I still had left, a large wine glass full as well!

Very tasty and will deffo make some more next year!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Any one tried blackberry brandy, works really well, we have also used victoria plums with brandy go easy on the sugar though. Usually stone the plums though, then eat them with icecream after straining of the brandy

Comment

we picked our sloes y'day (except they may be damsons, or bullaces, who knows!) and today I will start bottling. I think damsons have a crease in them, like a bum, and sloes don't, they are perfectly round.
                I just found this wonderful Blog, lots of lovely recipes and wisdom on it:
                http://joannasfood.blogspot.com/search?q=sloe
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Picked sloes today. They are in the freezer. Shall get some gin next week and off we go . Yes damsons look like a bum.
                  Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Right. The definitive answer: we picked sloes and bullaces. The berries all looked the same to me, so I googled the leaves, which are totally different. Not a damson in sight, and no bums either

They've all been pricked and drowned in gin now. I was so inspired, I made a bottle of blackberry vodka at the same time. Unfortuntely not all the vodka would go back in the bottle, so I've had to drink it as it might go off. Hic.

Comment

I ginned my sloes and brandied my bullaces. Done it before - wished I'd done more - have this year. We're gonna be totally soused come Christmas eh?
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I was lucky and had sloes given to me now have sloe gin, sloe brandy and sloe wine on the go. How long should I leave the sloes in the gin?

Comment

I reckon about 8 - 10 weeks, which handily makes it ready for Christmas drinking - and the excess for presents. I make mine in a demijohn so the extra produced by adding sugar and by the action of the alcohol drawing juice from the fruits (they look like prunes when done) makes up about enough for a small screw-top wine bottle - you know, the third of a bottle ones. The are a highly prized gift. Make some labels on your printer - a unique present. I always like to make extra jams and chutneys too. It make Christmas seem less of a commercial mania and more of a giving of something of yourself.

Little rant over, back on my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            ... which handily makes it ready for Christmas drinking - and the excess for presents.
                            I don't understand ... what excess gin ?
                            Is that like leftover wine? ie. an oxymoron

Comment

You're worse than me, you are!

Comment

Have any of youse guys tried sloe sherry? What's the best type of sherry to use?
                                To see a world in a grain of sand
                                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X