Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recommendations?

Hi All,

I would like to start making some wine and wondered if any of you knew of any straightforward books that you would recommend for wine making?

Thank you
    Emma
    www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

C.J.J Berry's "First Steps To Wine Making", you can pick it up for around £6.

First Steps in Winemaking - CJJ Berry

Comment

Sorry to disagree, but I hate Berry: his recipes are too sweet & sometimes just plain wrong.

This one is much more user-friendly and has good pictures: Amazon.com: Step by Step Homemade Wine (0712889031364): Judith Irwin, Roy Ekins: Books
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-02-2011, 02:25 PM. Reason: clarification
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It all depends on the approach that suits you. Berry describes the basic technique in the early part of the book, and then his recipes assume you have got that bit. Some of the others tell you exactly what to do every time.
        I prefer Berry's approach, because I don't want to be told the same thing hundreds of times; others may prefer each recipe to explain proceedure in full.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

You could try and get hold of Drink Your Own Garden by Judith Glover. Second hand copies are available on Amazon I think.
          Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Right I'm off to search on amazon. Thank you for all your help guys.

Emma
            www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

Comment

Many seasons ago I was given a book by CJ Berry, believe it is still on Amazon, regarded as the bible of winemaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Sorry to disagree, but I hate Berry: his recipes are too sweet & sometimes just plain wrong.

This one is much more user-friendly and has good pictures: Amazon.com: Step by Step Homemade Wine (0712889031364): Judith Irwin, Roy Ekins: Books
                thanks for the tip TS - I got this for 1.99 plus postage on ebay!
                http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I too am not a CJJ bery fan - Too many errors in his recipes, as a total beginner I really need it step by step, with clear simply to follow instructions.
                  Anyone found a good, modern basic book yet?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X