Glut of cucumbers.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glut of cucumbers.

I have got a glut of cucumbers at the moment. They are not the big ones, only about 6 inches long but I am averaging 4 a day and we can't eat that many.
    Relatives and friends are now avoiding me and giving me the look they used to reserve for when I was dumping courgettes on them.
    Any brilliant ideas for what to do with my surplus? ( not Piccalilli ( or similar) as I will make that when I have a cauliflower ready.)

Bread and butter pickle,will sort out recipe later. You'll need a white vinegar cider or wine,onions,mustard seeds,sugar and dill l(optional) Gorgeous with I'm...bread and butter!!! I eat it straight out the jar!
    Last edited by mrswadders; 16-08-2019, 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Right here goes,
      3 large cukes or say 6-8 small ones
      4 large onions
      3tbsp salt
      450ml white vinegar I like cider or wine but you can use white malt
      5oz sugar
      1tdp celery seeds(optional)
      1 tsp onion seeds(optional)
      1tsp mustard seeds
      1 tsp dried dill(optional)

Thinly sliced cukes and onions( I used a mandolin) layer in bowl sprinkling each layer with salt,leave 2 hour drain and rinse well.
      Put vinegar,sugar seeds and dill in pan,heat gently to dissolve sugar,bring to boil for 3 mins.
      Pack veg in sterilised hard cover with vinegar solution,store in dark for 2 months to mature. (If you can leave it that long!)

Comment

I've made a few jars of that using either courgettes or cucumbers, it's one of my fave recipes.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have made this cucumber pickle for a number of years now and it is a favourite on bagels with cream cheese, bacon and eggs and also as a side with cold meats and/or cheese...

Slice the cucumbers and onions very thinly..
          Layer them in a bowl, sprinkling with the sea salt as you go, then weigh them down with a plate and leave for a few hours or overnight. Drain off the liquid, rinse the vegetables well and drain in a colander.

Combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, cloves and turmeric in a pan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
          Add the well-drained cucumber and onion mixture and bring back to the boil for 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to sterilised jars, using a slotted spoon.
          Bring the liquid back to the boil and simmer until slightly reduced for about 15 minutes, then divide it between the jars, filling to the brim.
          Put on the lids and label.
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

Cold cucumber soup?
            Be lovely with crunchy fresh bread!
            Never made it myself but there are a few recipes to choose from on t'internet which look yummy.
            Last edited by Nicos; 16-08-2019, 02:35 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Another vote for cucumber and onion pickle. They also work really well cut into big chunks in a stir-fry - sounds weird but try it!
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

We do cuce and onion pickle too. Great with cheese or in a cheese sarny.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Good in a green smoothie as well. Also sliced with lemon in water - keep in the fridge, it's really refreshing and no sugar.
                  Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Cucumber ice pops however do not work - flavour is good but texture really weird. (I've experienced my own gluts of cucumber as you may have guessed by now!)
                    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Another fan here of stir-fried cuke, especially with a splash of fish sauce (one of the few things fish sauce goes with imo).
                      Also a dish my grandmother used to make - slices of cuke and wafer thin slices of onion on a plate with malt vinegar, allow it to sit for half an hour before eating with bread and salad.
                      Could also try - cut cuke in half lengthways and de-seed with a tea spoon before peeling (looks like a dug out canoe ). Fill the hollow with pesto or anchovies (be frugal if using anchovies, less is better than more). Cut into 2cm pieces to serve.
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I've only got one cucumber plant, but even that produces too many for two people (OH is a somewhat reluctant cucumber eater, but is making a valiant effort because I grew them). Variety is Delistar, and although it is F1 and not everyone wants that, it produces lovely little thin-skinned delicate veg.

Anyway, the glut. I also stir-fry them, and they add a lovely crunch. In my search for other uses, I have found 47 recipes on the BBC food website https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/cucumber

I'm trying grilled salmon teriyaki alongside spicy cucumber salad this weekend.
                        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Thanks for all your ideas folks. I've somehow got 3 plants this year. I started off with 4 as normal. Normally 2 die when I transplant them and something eats through the stem of one. This year only one curled up and died. I've never had so many cucumbers. They are really nice and the trouble is everyone I know seems to be having a good year with cucumbers so they have got gluts too. I think I'm going to have a go at a cucumber and onion pickle

Comment

Nice link Babru !
                            Crab and cucumber butties eh????...mmm......
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                              Anyway, the glut. I also stir-fry them, and they add a lovely crunch. In my search for other uses, I have found 47 recipes on the BBC food website https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/cucumber.
                              Some good recipes there thanks
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X