Swiss chard; do you find it bitter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss chard; do you find it bitter?

Good evening all, I hope everyone is well?

I've just eaten swiss chard for the first time and my gums nearly turned inside out, it was that bitter.
    Is it just me or how i've cooked it? or is swiss chard just plain bitter.
    I blanched the chard in a lightly salted water and drained after it wilted. I then fried it in some garlic, black pepper and olive oil, still bitter.

What do you all think? do you think the same or is that bitterness the thing you love.
    sigpic

I don't think it's that bitter, but it does leave a bit strange texture in your mouth. I like chard best in stews and soups where I can chop it quite fine. It's somehow better that way
    And I much prefer small, young leaves
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chard can have a bitter taste when it's running to seed.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I like the taste of Chard but then I mostly use it in curries or soups rarely as a stand alone veg. Daughter can't stand it however its cooked I put it down to individual tastes.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Not bitter exactly but it can set your teeth on edge if you have lots. I tend to cook the stalks separately on larger plants. I like it in a pasty with cream cheese or humous (poor man’s version of Spanokopita).
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Harvested and ate some yellow stalked chard couple of days ago. No thick stalks. It was ok, no odd tastes.
            Maybe its varietal.
            Grown all sorts never had problems, got bright lights this year.
            I like it creamed.
            Had some kale week back. Second time ever, thought best left for cattle. Cavolo Nero.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

It definitely varies across age and season. If you pick the new growth it's generally best.

We like it curried (fried in butter with cumin, fennel, chilli powder and [a few others])

Mike

Comment

Agree with Mr Bones, it does get more bitter once it starts trying to seed. I remove the flower stems and continue to harvest the smaller leaves but add a little sugar in the cooking process. Keeps the plant cropping a little longer in the spring and allows enough time for a fresh spring sowing to begin producing, can have Chard all year round that way. Dug up last years chard a couple of days ago as it was getting very determined to flower.....and quite bitter!

Comment

Agree with all of the above. Many people will tell you that it (and just about anything that is a green leaf) tastes of spinch. Yeah, no. It tastes like chard. And when it goes to seed it is quite nasty.

I do find chard, unless very young (tasty in salads) to be a bit...minerally. I tried Leaf Beet Erbette (type of perpetual spinch) last year and liked it better - a bit softer, less fiberous mid rib and even maybe a bit sweeter. It is in the same family as chard but only comes in green, no sexy colours but I am OK with that. You could try it if you are still not keen on the younger chard leaves.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X