Green Tomato Chutney Question....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Tomato Chutney Question....

I need help please! I have 2lb of green tomatoes waiting to be made into the lovely chutney recipe on here but I can't get mustard seeds anywhere...can I substitute anything else for them or is it still nice if I leave them out???

I got my Mustard Seeds in Tesco ... only a small branch too. 68p or thereabouts.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you bought a jar of 'whole grain' mustard wonder if that would do.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

They aren't vital - chutney is infinitely variable.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

CV, I don't know if you make it into the big smoke too often, but I got my mustard seeds in the little deli beside the jewellers at the back of the Westbury Mall - just off Grafton Street.

I actually got too many (bought 4 packets of 50g each and only needed 2 and a half). So if you want, I can post you down the 75g or so that I have spare when I get home tonight.

Comment

Thanks all...I'm gonna take up Winged One's offer of posting me some! You're all so lovely on this site...!!

I was going to substitute it for mustard Bren but wasn't sure if it would keep as long...

Two Sheds, I have searched out Tesco's here...huge branches..as well as other shops and had no joy. It can be impossible to get some ingredients here...you'd think we lived in the Outer Hebrides!
            Last edited by Curvy Vixen; 08-10-2007, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Glad you got sorted CV, I've started making chutney today and luckily my local Somerfield stocked the mustard seeds
              Last edited by Bren In Pots; 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've just found yellow mustard seeds in my local health store, also black mustard seeds, only 38p

So thrilled at my discovery, I managed to buy Allspice instead of Mixed Spice for my chutney, doh. Its tastes okay though.
                I'm just making up some labels on the printer to finish off.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You REALLY CAN use any mix of spices you like in a chutney. I now only make sure the proportions of fruit/veg, onions, vinegar and sugar are consistent and after that I do my own thing. Today's bullace and marrow chutney contained cloves (whole, in a bag so I could hoik 'em out) and chopped home-grown chillies. Wicked!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Health food shops are a good source of spices such as mustard seed, cinnamon (powder or sticks) etc. Also ethnic shops which sell an incredible range of ingredients at really good prices - don't be afraid to ask, people are usually really helpful. I usually add cloves to my pickles and chutneys (and apple pies), they give a lovely warm spicy flavour.

Comment

Tried that too rustylady with no joy! There just seems to be the odd thing here that is impossible to get unless you go into the centre of Dublin itself and even then you're not guaranteed. I'll bore you all to sleep one day with my search for liquid glucose!!

Comment

A public thanks to Winged One for sending me on the mustard seeds that arrived today...I'll be chutney making at the weekend!!

Comment

Good grief, post, what's that??????

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X