Tasty Salad to grow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasty Salad to grow

I am already growing little gem, red &green , oriental and spicy salad leaves .
    I don't have a strong sense of taste (long story) so any recommendations for stronger salads. I get rocket aroma in my mouth but not much taste to give you an idea.
    Northern England.

Could you maybe grow herbs and baby spinach leaves for salads? Edible flowers and nasturtium leaves? Focus less on the leaves and more on other ingredients? I'm in a similar position at the moment and eat blue cheese and walnut salads, tomato and salad onion salads, carrot and herb salads. Add pomegranate molasses, good balsamic vinegar, even tahini or peanut butter to your dressings?

Good luck.

Comment

I like Snoop’s herb idea - what about growing some sorrell. I also like landcress which I find similar to watercress but easier to grow.
      All at once I hear your voice
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Thanks great ideas . I think I have some landcress seeds somewhere , will get some sorrel and nasturtium too.
        Northern England.

Comment

I love the taste of land cress you only need a few leaves and it makes a difference to mixed salad leaves. As a plus it self seeds easily.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren
            Northern England.

Comment

I've never grown land cress but love water cress. Is it good for soup? I might give some a go as well.

Thanks for starting the thread, CG. I've learned something too.

Comment

Have found some and sown them , not in date but we shall see what happens. Found some beet seeds too so trying those for some leaves .
                Ordered more salads and sorrel too .
                Northern England.

Comment

Maybe try garland chrysanthemum (also known as shungiku)?
                  It has a herbal taste which I can't quite compare to anything else, and is very good in salads. It also crops well, has really pretty flowers, and is very winter hardy (mine was in flower most of last winter).

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    I've never grown land cress but love water cress. Is it good for soup? I might give some a go as well.

Thanks for starting the thread, CG. I've learned something too.
                    I imagine it would work well in soup. I just love how trouble free it was over the winter. It’s joining my list of gold standard crops

All at once I hear your voice
                    And time just slips away
                    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

^Thanks, muckdiva.

Comment

Chicory and endive are strong if you like bitter flavours. Mustard greens are strong too although I'm not keen on the taste.
                        Love landcress and find it's not so peppery in winter.
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Not tried to grow chicory or endive I shall look at those, thanks Mr B .
                          Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X