Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our usual Saturday evening tagliatelle and bol.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Tonight salmon baked with lemon and capers, potato dauphinoise, carrots, broccoli and homemade tartare sauce.

I think I'll also make some potted meat for sandwiches for us, for the freezer and to give away.

If I do this I'll also set the breadmaker off overnight.
      Last edited by greenishfing; 09-10-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Yesterday's bread was too good to ignore. So we had beans on toast for supper. Doro and misir wats for tonight instead.

Comment

• I’ve got a few bits of leftovers- curry, bbq etc. Think I’ll make wraps with them with garden salad and yog.
          Stewed apple for pud.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• We've got braising steak, onions, celery, garlic, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots and herbs in the slow cooker. Will be putting some mushrooms in later.

Comment

• I'm a copycat, Bren. We're having braising steak tonight cooked in the slow cooker with onions, garlic celery and herbs. We'll have it with mashed potatoes, carrots and cabbage. I decided not to make the potted meat yesterday as I'm just going to put extra braising steak in the slow cooker today to make it with.

Therefore I'll put the breadmaker on tonight.

Comment

• Your houses are going to smell lovely!

Not sure yet what we’re having but we have a lot of french beans we picked before the frost which we need to eat (or freeze)

Comment

• Decision made- bean and large pasta macaroni cheese.
                  Stewed apple and yog for pud

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    We've got braising steak, onions, celery, garlic, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots and herbs in the slow cooker. Will be putting some mushrooms in later.
                    Finishing of the rest of the braising steak and veg, but with herb dumplings.

Comment

• Yet more doro wat for the freezer, some of which will do for supper undoubtedly. Just as well we really like it otherwise it would start to get a bit boring by now.

Comment

• Saag aloo with rice, yoghurt, chutney and sourdough naans.

Comment

• Yesterday I'd defrosted prawns so I gave Mr GF the choice of prawn curry or prawn risotto. He picked risotto.

Tonight I'm thinking meatballs with mashed potatoes, beans, carrots, beetroot and a creamy gravy/sauce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                            Yet more doro wat for the freezer, some of which will do for supper undoubtedly. Just as well we really like it otherwise it would start to get a bit boring by now.
                            Any chance of your doro wat recipe Snoop?

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Any chance of your doro wat recipe Snoop?
                              I make it in a pressure cooker, but I'm sure you could adapt it for a slow cooker or stove top pan. The full recipe makes a lot for a household of two (like us), so always plenty for the freezer. Loads of recipes for the berbere spice blend online if you want to make your own. I'm still using some Bart's berbere, but I think I'll make my own when this runs out. Bart's berbere is ridiculously expensive, but you might find cheaper brands in the UK. Using the Bart's blend, this is quite spicy but doesn't leave your mouth on fire for ages, though your lips will tingle for a bit.

1.5 kg of boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in half or thirds if big
                              Olive oil
                              2-3 onions, chopped but not that finely
                              2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
                              3-4 tsp berbere spice mix depending on how hot you like things
                              150 ml tomato paste
                              250 ml stock or water - you'll need more if you're not using a pressure cooker
                              3-4 tbsp of peanut butter (I don't always have this, but it does make for a thicker sauce)

Heat olive oil in pan and sweat onions for 10 mins or so till starting to change colour.
                              Stir in garlic and the berbere. Fry again for a minute or so, but be careful not to let the spice burn.
                              Stir in the tomato paste and stock or water, followed by the peanut butter if using.
                              Add chicken and roll in sauce to coat. Then cook till done.
                              For a pressure cooker, bring up to pressure and cook at pressure for 15 mins. Turn off heat and move pan to a cooler ring. Wait for pressure to drop of its own accord. And that's it. It makes a lot of sauce in a pressure cooker.

I usually serve on a bed of misir wat (lentils), also cooked in a pressure cooker.

Olive oil
                              Walnut-sized knob of fresh ginger, minced
                              2 cloves of garlic, minced
                              1 onion, finely chopped
                              2 tsp berbere
                              1/2 tsp ground cumin
                              135 g red lentils, washed
                              500 ml stock/water
                              2 tbsp tomato paste

Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in oil.
                              Add the spices and sauté for a minute or so.
                              Add the stock and tomato paste.
                              Add the lentils.
                              Cook till done.
                              For a pressure cooker, bring to high pressure and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes. Turn off heat and move the cooker to a cooler ring. Wait for the pressure to drop of its own accord.

Neither recipe is very time consuming for the cook. When freezing, I just bung the lentils and chickens in together. Best ready meal on the market! Well, our home market at least.

Comment

• Pea soup followed by Welsh rarebit with a bit of salad. Cup of tea and a bounty bar biscuit (or two...) for afters if required.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X