Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottage Pie with various veg. I've made a Victoria Sandwich filled with strawberries and cream, so that will be for after, if we have no visitors
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Starter will be some pan fried shisito peppers, and then it was supposed to be lentil and beetroot stew, however I've just been given a couple of magnificent and huge lettuces with the advice to try them cooked. So it'll be braised lettuce with peas and potatoes.
      (Edited to add) For dessert there'll be a plum tray cake (traditional with yeast dough)
      Last edited by MelanieSW; 26-08-2024, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelanieSW View Post
        Starter will be some pan fried shisito peppers, and then it was supposed to be lentil and beetroot stew, however I've just been given a couple of magnificent and huge lettuces with the advice to try them cooked. So it'll be braised lettuce with peas and potatoes.
        (Edited to add) For dessert there'll be a plum tray cake (traditional with yeast dough)
        I'm intrigued by the cake, Melanie. Have looked online and spotted some Eastern European plum tray cakes with yeast dough. They look amazing.

Bet your braised lettuce will be delicious. I love lettuce soup. Freshly picked lettuce is so sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

I'm intrigued by the cake, Melanie. Have looked online and spotted some Eastern European plum tray cakes with yeast dough. They look amazing.
          I only took a picture before baking, but it's a quite traditional German yeasted sheet cake (can also be made with apples, or just butter and crumbs), the kind of cake you get at gran's house on a Sunday. The one with plums (Zwetschgendatschi) is highly awaited each year, I never bother with the streusel crumbs just add a sprinkling of sugar after baking. The standard variety of plums is a bit drier than the ones you get in the UK, still delicious from the tree but because of that also lends itself well to cooking and baking.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240826_122739614.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	923.3 KB
ID:	2584204

Comment

• I love plums, any kind of plum. Will add this to my repertoire. Thanks, MelanieSW.

Comment

• Pork schnitzel and broad beans.

Comment

• I'm putting off shopping until tomorrow so today will be either:

Chicken pie made with cooked chicken out of the freezer potatoes and veg.
                Or
                Omelette with tomato, pesto and mozzarella bake, and hash browns.
                Or
                Fish fingers, potato scallops in beer batter, peas and homemade tartare sauce.

I might let Mr GF decide.

Strawberries and cream.

Comment

• Going to take some salmon from the freezer and make a risotto. Will have a green salad with it.
                  Northern England.

Comment

• Sooop of some kind. Strawberries and ice cream.

I was about to make lasagne for the freezer this morning, then realised I hadn't enough dried pasta sheets, so I'm making some. In all my many years I have never made pasta, so this will be interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      Sooop of some kind. Strawberries and ice cream.

I was about to make lasagne for the freezer this morning, then realised I hadn't enough dried pasta sheets, so I'm making some. In all my many years I have never made pasta, so this will be interesting
                      Good luck🤞I've just decided that my "pasta machine" is probably destined for the charity shop or one of my nieces along with the ice cream maker (I just never use them any more) and the juicer (too hard to clean).

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Good luck🤞I've just decided that my "pasta machine" is probably destined for the charity shop or one of my nieces along with the ice cream maker (I just never use them any more) and the juicer (too hard to clean).
                        Thanks greenishfing , I haven't a machine, so am relying on my rolling pin!

Comment

• Ha!…I have fun with the pasta machine
                          I seemed to get the hang of it better when using lots of fine semolina sprinkled liberally everywhere…floor included

We’re having homemade pizzas this evening. Not had one for months
                          Orange for pud
                          Last edited by Nicos; 27-08-2024, 02:13 PM.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Veggie burgers, Charlottes and a garden salad..
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post

Thanks greenishfing , I haven't a machine, so am relying on my rolling pin!
                              I started making pasta with a rolling pin and we liked it so much I bought one of those hand-cranked pasta machines, thinking it would speed matters up. In reality, it was far more work and faff than the rolling pin. I used it twice and never again.

If your sauce is saucy enough, you don't need to pre-boil recently made pasta sheets (in my experience).

Comment

• Planning to make a sardine and tomato tart with a green salad and bean salad
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X