X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some good recipes here:

https://www.saltandlavender.com/category/crockpot/

Comment

Am thinking of making this with Mr Snoop tomorrow. It uses precooked chickpeas so the chance of failure is minimised.

https://blog.thezenofslowcooking.com...garbanzo-stew/

The recipe gives timings for either high or low. I presume this is to fit in with people's timetables. But is there an advantage to using low rather than high, or vice versa, other than that?

Thanks.

Comment

^^^ that looks like something I would try on the hob too on a low heat.
        Let us know how you get on!
        Last edited by Nicos; 02-04-2024, 09:09 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just time of cooking for me, I often don't get it started until midday so cook on high . Can always knock down to low.
          Northern England.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Will let you know, Nicos.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
              Just time of cooking for me, I often don't get it started until midday so cook on high . Can always knock down to low.
              I'm the same. If organised longer on low, if it's already lunchtime I'll put it on high.

Comment

Thanks for the info. High suits me a lot better, especially at the moment: bright mornings, cloudy afternoons. I could have made it today, in the end. Will definitely try tomorrow if the day starts fine.

Comment

Snoop I read somewhere that meat is better cooked slow and long but things like veg and beans it doesn’t make a difference.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    Snoop I read somewhere that meat is better cooked slow and long but things like veg and beans it doesn’t make a difference.
                    Really useful info, Bren. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      ^^^ that looks like something I would try on the hob too on a low heat.
                      Let us know how you get on!
                      Link to remind you what it was but not to encourage you to make it, as it was bland, boring and beggars belief anyone would think it was worth eating.
                      https://blog.thezenofslowcooking.com...garbanzo-stew/

Just as well we've got a jar of Patak's hot mango pickle (three chillies on the label) to perk it up a bit.

I need to start adapting recipes we like to the slow cooker. The recipes I've been making are American, it occurs to me, and the spicing is so uninteresting it's not even one-dimensional, more like quarter-dimensional.

Comment

Im terrible for not sticking to recipes. I'm always adding extra flavours
                        Northern England.

Comment

I've gone old-fashioned. A proper book rather than internet recipes. And a total hit. Only one recipe in it that I won't make (celery braised in orange - Mr Snoop loathes celery).

Slow Cooker Heaven, by Lorna Brash (published by the National Trust).

Comment

Snoop, talking of old fashioned brisket is one of my favourite slow cooker meals it’s so tasty after a long slow cook, also leftovers are good on sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              Snoop, talking of old fashioned brisket is one of my favourite slow cooker meals it’s so tasty after a long slow cook, also leftovers are good on sandwiches.
                              Thanks, Bren. I've been looking at that. Where I live isn't a big beef area so the local butchers tend not to stock much of a selection. Animals are jointed differently here, so I may have to show them a picture of where brisket comes from, see what my local butcher has to say.

I can buy what I think is the equivalent of topside. It looks like quite a tough joint in the butcher's (assuming I've got the right joint), but Lorna Brash suggests pot-roasting it. What do you reckon?

Edited to add, in case it's relevant: the topside joint I can buy here has no outer fat and no visible marbling either.
                              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 05-04-2024, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Snoop I've found a couple of links, I agree its confusing with the different names for the same cuts of meat. :-

After much experimentation, we can confirm that thebest cut to use for a Slow Cooker Sunday Roast Beef – is topside of beef
                                https://www.slowcookerclub.com/slow-cooker-roast-beef/

The Best Beef Cuts For Tender Slow Cooker Roasts - Boss The Kitchen

The best beef cuts for slow cooking - delicious. magazine (deliciousmagazine.co.uk)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X