Looking for advice on buying a deep-fat frier

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on buying a deep-fat frier

I've been thinking for a while about buying a stove-top deep-fat frier. It can't be an electric one as we have solar power only and the draw would be too great. Ideally I'd be looking for something I could cover with a metal lid in the event of fire.

Do you have any tips on what I should look for? The pans marketed as deep fat friers aren't as deep as I thought they'd be (8.5 cm, for example). Does that seem deep enough to you? And would I be better off with something like a big saucepan with one handle off to the side or one more like a wok but with two upright handles to the sides (so long as I can fit a lid on)? I have a wok, but it's rather large to deep fry just for us (Mr Snoop and me, plus friend who visits regularly), plus it's OK for stir-frying but feels a bit unstable for deep frying.

So far I've bought a thermometer to avoid overheating the fat and causing a fire...

All advice welcomed.

Snoop before electric fryers were popular I used a cast iron saucepan with a basket it worked fine.
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; Today, 08:04 AM.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Snoop, do you get Am***n deliveries in Spain? If you type in chip pan, there's lots of choice.

Comment

I can buy things off Amazon Spain, GF, but shopping off the Amazon UK site is terrible. Import taxes, paperwork and deliveries simply not arriving. I've given up. The ones I've seen on the Spain site don't look good and get pretty poor ratings. And the best ones on the UK site don't seem to be available in Spain.

I was looking more for general tips to help me make a decision. A saucepan sounds like a decent possibility, Bren. I had wondered about that. My current saucepans are quite small in diameter for deep frying - I use them more with a steamer. What do you reckon, 24 cm diameter? Or not big enough?

Plus, how deep do you think would be advisable?
        Last edited by Snoop Puss; Today, 10:34 AM.

Comment

My chip pan is 8" diameter and about 4" deep, with a net and a lid. Bought years ago in a set of non-stick pans. It's rarely used, but always on Boxing Day for "proper" chips with turkey and pickles. It does a great fried egg too. Perfectly adequate for us, but you might want something more advanced Snoop?
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

That was in old money, so About 20 cm x 10 cm ?
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Looking at most chip pans, they seem to be about 22cm in diameter.
              We used to use an old Le Creuset pan with a stainless steel basket . Worked a treat.

I guess it depends on what you are wanting to deep fry when deciding the diameter.
              Depth-wise…well, I am always a bit concerned about how high the fat rises initially when the chips etc go in…hence adding a few at a time.
              Are you planning on using a basket?…that diameter and depth might be something to factor in?

One thing I would suggest though is to get something with a thick base for heat transference, and heat resistant handles for safety.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

All good things to think about. Thanks so much.

Really useful to hear the diameter and depth of your pan, Flo. I thought 8.5 cm was a bit low because I have the same concern as you, Nicos, about the rising fat level.

Good to know 20-22 cm is sufficient for chips, though I was thinking of larger items such as croquettes and samosas. So maybe 24 cm diameter might be better.

Rather than a basket, I was thinking of using one of those spider/skimmer things, as much as anything to save depth in the pan.

Edited to add: useful advice about the heat resistant handles. That suggests the kind of pan with the two short handles at the side is less than ideal. Thanks.
                Last edited by Snoop Puss; Today, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Snoop Premier Home Wear have one 27 cm..Two handles, chip basket and pyrex lid...

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X