Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Borlotti?
    Yes, you can freeze them, but they still need that 10 min rapid boil to get rid of the toxin before you eat them.
    Love this thread. Can I just clarify, please? Do I take it that French Beans/Runner beans/pole beans (Trail of tears type) etc (as in the seeds not the pods) all need boiling for 10 minutes before adding to the recipe even if they are quite fresh when frozen?
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Bean harvest has been brilliant this year so it's going to be a beany winter . Grew my usual ones but also tried the huge runner beans from Real Seeds which form massive white beans which have really impressed me. Not eaten many as shelley beans (too many other things to eat in the summer) but they are brilliant dried. Has a fab sausage and bean casserole the other night which made a few sausages enough to feed an army

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
        Do I take it that French Beans/Runner beans/pole beans (Trail of tears type) etc ... all need boiling for 10 minutes before adding to the recipe even if they are quite fresh when frozen?
        The problem isn't with freshness, or even with dryness. The problem with beans is the toxic lectin they all contain (some have more than others, and there's more in the seed than the pod). Some people will suffer bean poisoning and others have a greater tolerance to it.

To be on the safe side, do the 10 min boil to kill the lectin
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for that post ^^ TS , I often wondered what the reason was but never thought to ask
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            The problem isn't with freshness, or even with dryness. The problem with beans is the toxic lectin they all contain
            Diolch, TS. I'm loving lots of mine in your green tomato soup
            Last edited by marchogaeth; 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM.
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

My borlotti beans are swelling in their pods. Time to bump this thread! I've never grown borlottis before, if anyone's got any recipes to add... thanks in advance!
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                My borlotti beans are swelling in their pods. Time to bump this thread! I've never grown borlottis before, if anyone's got any recipes to add... thanks in advance!
                I dry the beans by spreading out on trays for few weeks, then they store well throughout the winter in storage jars. I use them in casseroles, especially nice with lamb with a bit of chilli added, also in soups.

Soak them for a few hours first or overnight, otherwise they may not soften.
                DottyR

Comment

This is a great thread! Although I'm now slightly concerned I've been eating raw / slightly stir fried runner beans and broad beans for the last 3 summers!!

Comment

Oh... my.... goodness!! TS what a star you are Thank you for all the info in this thread - I feel so much better now, knowing what to grow and awesome recipes too!
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is one very useful thread

Comment

Sharing my greek giant beans recipe. You can use gigantes beans or large lima beans as a substitute. They taste like baked beans, but better!

500g dried beans
                        1 carton chopped tomatoes
                        2 tbs tomato puree
                        2 large onions
                        5 cloves garlic
                        2 large carrots
                        4 sticks celery
                        glass of wine optional
                        herbs - oregano, 2 bay leaves, parsley. Nutmeg & cinnamon optional
                        oil, salt, pepper and pinch of sugar

1. Soak beans overnight. They become extremely large.
                        2. Finely chop onions, garlic, carrots, parsley and celery. I use a mini chopper.
                        3. Put beans to boil in a pot for 45 minutes or until soft (you can put your fork through the beans).
                        4. In a separate pan, fry onions and garlic in oil until soft and fragrant. Add wine, let it bubble until most of the liquid evaporates. Add bay leaves, oregano and parsley stems.
                        5. Pre-heat oven to 180c. Add celery and carrots to pan and continue until the contents are well mixed. Add chopped tomato and puree and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes. Season to taste (I normally do this last, but you can add them earlier if you wish). Add the remaining parsley.
                        6. Once the beans and the tomato mixture are cooked, pour them both into a baking tray and put in the oven at 180c. You want to use a baking tray that is large enough to spread out the beans into a single or double layer.
                        7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. More of the moisture should have evaporated. Let it cool for 15 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread, olives and cheese.
                        Last edited by kitty12345; 09-05-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Ooh that sounds lovely Thank you for sharing!
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just bumping this for Mcdood to have a read....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X