Butter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter

I am going to have a go at making butter out of double cream, anyone else tried it?

A few of us on here tried a while back, it was great fun and tasted fab too, I think there was a thread about it somewhere

Comment

Oh and you can use the buttermilk to make lovely scones

Comment

I've never done it but I've had lots of kids at school do it by mistake as they didn't know when to stop beating :-)

Comment

I tried it last night, it was so easy! must make more! fantasic!!! Very pleased

Comment

how did you make it and how long did it take?

Comment

I make it in my breadmaker when I can find double cream reduced to clear. It isn't really worth it cost wise otherwise.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Yeah, my dear ol' grandad made it by mistake, he was beating cream for a cake and forgot to stop! Result sweet butter :S: Bless! 'Twas many years ago though...

Comment

You just buy some double cream and whisk until butter clumps apear,drain the water of and add clean water,drain of again(may take a few trys)and keep draining until water is clear.squeeze out the water then pop it in the fridge.

Comment

Putting the double cream in a jam jar, with tight fitting lid, is a good way to do it too. Good upper arm work out.

Make sure you rinse it well or it will go rancid very quickly. You can also freeze it for about 6 months, which is great if you fine double cream on offer or reduced for quick sale.

You can add salt to the cream, but unsalted is lovely - my favourite. Or garlic butter, or herb butter.....all freezable (sp?) And, you can also make butter with chopped fresh chilis or freshly ground black pepper.....and lots more. Cinnamon butter, fab with hot mince pies at Christmas. Vanilla butter, excellent with freshly baked bread, crumpets or scones.

Seasoned butters also make a lovely gift!

Jules
                    Last edited by julesapple; 01-07-2009, 10:44 AM.
                    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

interesting.......didn't know you had to rinse the butter first?

Comment

Originally posted by Lemon View Post
                        interesting.......didn't know you had to rinse the butter first?
                        Buttermilk is sour. You have to remove it or the butter spoils. Then you have to squeeze out the washing water........
                        Slightly salted butter will keep a few weeks in the fridge, or 6 months in the freezer (might be longer, but may start changing the taste after that).
                        Strongly salted butter will keep 6 months at fridge/larder temps (you can always wash the salt out again when you want to use it), but it has to be kept well wrapped and in the dark. I only did it once, not worth the hassle. Freeze it instead!
                        Never done unsalted.
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

i am officially an expert in butter makeing!!(well not exactly) but i have tried it 4 times now, and another batch on the way

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X