No announcement yet.

Charging cordless power tools on the plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just invested in Li-Ion batteries and kit. With two batteries I can strim my entire plot and have some charge left for the drill.

(Mine are 18V, so a 12V charge supply wouldn't necessarily help).

I'll ask on another list, but
    1) charging voltage isn't output voltage (it's something like 1/10th IIRC)
    2) dumb chargers and modern batteries will lead to fires, so you'd need to have the proper charging circuitry.

Comment

Does seam you already have the most flexible solution, Panel, Battery, inverter, Charger. Agree it will not be the most efficient, but that said, not paying for the electricity, so can off-set that against the benefit of using any tool or borrowing a low powered "mains" tool.

Get a 12V bulb and socket and you'll also have light in the shed.

Comment

LED, or you'll just have a glow-worm...

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
          LED, or you'll just have a glow-worm...
          Aye --- was thinking of a car bulb, but LED would be much better.

And that wee immersion unit that plugs into cigarette lighter to make your tea.

Comment

What about a 12v water pump to empty your buts in the hot sunny weather and water the beds.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

got some replies from another place

> A friend of a friend was musing about this
              > 1) does anyone make a 12v input charger for cordless tools

Something like this:-
              https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...ehicle-charger
              (not sold in the UK, afaik).

> 2) how complex does a charging circuit need to be for a Li Ion battery, and
              > is there any code/way of finding out what the different terminals on the
              > battery needs?

For Ryobi one+ batteries, it looks like there is a charge controller
              built into the battery. So you’d probably get away with constant
              voltage supplied to the battery, as long as the voltage is high enough.

Another answer to q2

The chargers probably have switched mode power supplies in them so you
              could pull one apart and see if its possible to figure out the supply
              voltage on the low voltage side of the SMPS since you could power that
              directly. Given the higher voltages on some power tool batteries I
              suspect its higher than 12V though so you'd still need to boost the
              voltage at which point an inverter becomes easiest.

the most skilled engineer I know offered
              > 1) does anyone make a 12v input charger for cordless tools

The expedient solution:
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/NPET-Invert.../dp/B0771KQYMY

Hope that is of use.

Comment

Thanks Mike et al.

Some interesting stuff on resurrecting seemingly knackered/disharged li-ion batteries on t'interweb - better not put a link to them though...

I might hit a car boot sale or two this weekend
                sigpic
                1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

My cordless drill:
                  Nutter's Club member.

Comment

^^^
                    The histroy of drills is quite an interesting thing
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill
                    My old dad's drill is apparently called a 'wheel brace' - yours is a 'breast drill'
                    Whenever I try to use the wheel brace I have to spend 20 minutes oiling and or whacking it to get it moving... possibly I should retire it to a drier environment at home rather than the allotment shed.

Perhaps the start of the 'North Devon Hand Tool Museum' - would be another reason to come to this gorgeous part of the world for a holiday
                    sigpic
                    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I have my Dad's drill which is similar to DWS's. I'm not qualified to use anything electrical.

Comment

How about a windmill?
                        https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wind...-wind-turbines

Comment

How many watts is your solar panel? How many watts is your inverter?

Comment

I'm not enamoured with the idea of leaving rechargable tools on the plot. Inverters are renowned for slow charge rates so are unlikely to get you going enough to finish most jobs. I have some cheap tools hidden in the shed. pliers, spanner set, screwdrivers, hammer, saw, hacksaw. All nasty and cheap but I wouldn't cry too much if the walked and they are ready for most tasks I happen upon. Anything serious I plan then I take proper tools from home including power tools. If it's proper serious like erecting the shed and bolting to the concrete base, then the genny comes too.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              What about a bike-powered generator?
                              How about a generator connected to the water tap? Use the mains pressure to generate power to top up your battery whilst watering your plants.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X