No announcement yet.

How active a gardener are you?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to be proactive but it doesn’t always work so I am a mixture.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I think I'm proactive?!

I didn't sow the cabbage seed cos I knew I wouldn't have time to put up my nets....

Comment

I think I'm mostly reactive, although this season I've been trying to anticipate problems before they happen.

I've been known to just let problems run their course rather than trying to fix them, though, so I definitely have an inactive streak as well.

Comment

Can I choose more than one option on the poll?

I’m all of them depending on my mood, time of year, what else I’ve got to occupy myself

If I had to choose one. I’d probably be proactive. I think I fall into that category more often than anything.

Comment

I like to think I am proactive but do tend to lean towards the inactive.

I net my brassicas when planting in final position but leave them to their own devices in the seed bed. I use a dog crate to keep pigeons off my module sown brassicas.

I have grown blueberries for a number of years but the birds get them all. Each year I say I will net them when they have set fruit...…...but I never do.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I put myself down as reactive, but would like to be more proactive. To this end, I've just filled out a perpetual wall planner with tasks for each month eg mulch fruit bushes in March. I find I think about doing things in the garden then realise I'm too late or too early.....

As I only work a few weeks a year I have much more time to get ahead of things nowadays - so no excuses accepted!
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I think I'm proactive?!

I didn't sow the cabbage seed cos I knew I wouldn't have time to put up my nets....
                Ha ha - love your reasoning there.....

Comment

I wanted to tick proactive. But I thought and thought and thought some more and couldn't think of any occasion.
                  I will be a bit next year as I have netting now to put round the peas to keep the pigeons off. I looked round the garden today and, where I recently harvested about 74kg of onions is now just a sea of weeds, mainly docks as well. And I can see lost of couch sprouting where I dug out the maincrop potatoes... so mainly asleep on the job.

Comment

I'd like to be completely proactive and as the seasons add up I learn how to be. But reality is that we tend to favour some produce with our care, but forget to even start some others at the appropriate times and they get what they get.
                    For example I built a screw together brassica frame and bought an 8x4 Mtr piece of enviromesh this year, but I've yer to start my indoor winter lettuce and late Kale crop! I also wanted some buckets of winter carrots for the greenhouse but I think it's getting a bit late now for daylight hours.

Comment

Definitely proactive. No dig plot so not many weeds but have to think well ahead by getting wood chips to store for rotting down plus make plenty of compost for mulch.
                      Some crops have to be netted for protection against pigeons, leek moth, allium miner, butterflies etc. so net allocation and supports have to be taken into consideration.
                      Then of course there's the rolling plan of when to plant/sow and where it's all going to go.
                      Keeps me out of mischief
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I am very active
                        Especially when trying to catch up with things I should have done
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X