Fair weather gardening

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair weather gardening

The weather today was showers, and I had a lazy day sitting about reading, now just thinking back to when I was younger, today's weather wouldn't have kept me in, I would have been out in the garden doing some work and just sheltered as required. Do any Grapes carry on working through the showers, or are we all fair weather workers
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

I'm definitely a fair weather gardener. The older I get the worse I get. To be honest I was never really fond of bad weather. Any excuse to curl up with a good book. However if th choice was ironing in a warm kitchen or gardenning at -6°C gardenning would win hands down.

Comment

Rary, like you, years ago I wouldnt have let the weather stand in my way if I really wanted to get things done.
      As I have get older I tend to try to look after my health.
      Being out in the rain and the cold is not the best for a senior although I seem to be tough.

Having said that, when the weather is bad I spend the time in the greenhouse.
      Hate being indoors.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

We’re on clay soil, so cannot really do much gardening if the ground is really wet .
        However, I am quite happy to potter around the greenhouse or patio and duck indoors once it gets past a little light drizzle ;-)

Comment

Most of my plants are on my north-facing verandah, so unless we get driving rain coming from that direction it doesn't really interfere with me playing with plants.

I won't be going out on the verandah in the severe storms which are predicted for this afternoon and tomorrow, though.

Comment

When its raining I only go into the garden to harvest I can't see the point of getting soaked these days. I suppose if it was urgent like something had blown over I'd wrap up and go out there.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

When I had a 'proper' job ( ) I only had weekends and an hour or so in the evenings to get everything done on the 3 plots, so whatever the weather things had to be done.
              I've even been known to be digging potatoes in the pouring rain wearing my 3yr old son's plastic yellow firemans helmet. It was that or fasten a plastic carrier bag to my head-it's amazing what you can do with the handles tied under your chin and nose and eyes poking out
              I suppose needs must and time restraints were the determining factor in those days.
              Now life is more flexible I can fit in time around everything else I do ...including the weather!

Deffo another fairweather gardener here !
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

What's this fair weather stuff?

Comment

Its always "Fair weather" in sunshiny South Wales.....................

when its not cold and wet

Comment

I'm a fair weather gardener for preference - if I had me druthers I'd live in a small Cottage on Portugal's silver coast where sunshine is more frequent than rain - but as it is my other half is still working (someone has to pay the bills) - so Ross-on-Wye is a good second best.

Comment

If I have stuff to do, especially in the spring, I will do it in the greenhouse if it's raining. I don't like being out in the rain because I have glasses and can't see anything when the rain hits them lol
                      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                        If I have stuff to do, especially in the spring, I will do it in the greenhouse if it's raining. I don't like being out in the rain because I have glasses and can't see anything when the rain hits them lol
                        Same here Sarris. It’s a bind so I always keep aside some indoor pottering jobs for when it’s raining.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

I'll garden in pretty much anything - parent and full-time worker ensures that.

The key things for me are
                          1) good clothing for the weather - as a glasses wearer a good hat is a must. I have a fly-fishing hat (green cloth with a brim) that I spray waterproof to the outside and insect-repellent under the brim, and a padded check shirt (warm and absorbs the rain) and wellies.
                          2) getting wet = getting cold, the best jobs to do in the rain are ones that involve physical work, like digging etc.

I didn't realise why farmers all wear wellies all the time until I had to wear them for one soggy day - they keep you warm, dry and largely mud-free.

I don't bother with a waterproof unless it is absolute stair-rods as I'm almost never out for more than three hours at the time, so the sweatiness factor and risk of tearing an expensive jacket outweighs the dryness factor.

Comment

I tend to garden when I can and things need doing due to work and small child. I have been known to be gardening in heavy rain and high winds (harvesting apples last time) when needed. I'd rather garden only in nice weather but we live in North Lancashire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X