• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
    It was never English Oil - was ours
    Silly me - I thought it was British

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      And that reminds me of the kid on lookout on the fishing boat Anna. He passes the coastguard boat and the CG shouts "What's yer name?" "Anna" shouts the lad. "Anna yer na," says the coastguard, "But tell us!"
      (Same accent required!)
      EH???!!! This southener just doesn't get it! From Somerset you see, strong in the arm and thick in the head.....
      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by scared55 View Post
        Silly me - I thought it was British

KK
        Feeling better again, young man?
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
          EH???!!! This southener just doesn't get it! From Somerset you see, strong in the arm and thick in the head.....
          Snadger will get it. He's probably heard it anyway!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I dont get it either, scouse is a different language you know!!
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Nope, no idea
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                It was never English Oil - was ours :
                I wonder if the Scotish people said "No thank you British Central Government, don't invest all your money; we will fund the exploration and development costs our selves" in the 1970's?

I'm guessing not. My guess is lots of money was put into Scotland to develop skills, deep water ports and exploration etc by Central Government. Suddenly though that seems to have been forgotten and it's Scotiish Oil.

Just my two pennies worth

Jonny
                Last edited by jonny_s_p; 20-11-2007, 11:44 AM. Reason: Quote not correct

Comment

Dont forget that is 42US gallons. Or just under 35 to the rest of us.

" $4,237.63 (£2069.35) for a drum of Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey" seems quite reasonable when you consider a barrel of 3rd release Port Ellen (far superior in my opinion) would be £26,119!

But what a night that would be.

Jonny

Comment

It's just gone up again - deisel now £1.09 per litre
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just received this email (not advocating it, just passing it on folks!!) ...

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it....

We are hitting 99.9p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying over £1 a litre!!!!
                      (This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.)

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!
                      Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place, not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, if you can avoid it, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!
                      Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
                      PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE .
                      It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
                      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I seem to be having the same conversation/argument on three different fora at the mo.

I agree that the price of fuel is too high. Exacerbated by the ridiculous amount of tax that the government levies. As this is done as a %age of the base price, every time oil goes up the amount they receive in tax does also.

HOWEVER, boycotting Esso/BP is not a viable way to do it. Whilst I know many people have alternative sources of fuel (Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Murco whatever), many people only have a BP or Esso garage anywhere near them. They can't just not go to work because they are boycotting those particular distributers.

And perleeease don't go into the live closer to your job/catch the bus/get a job closer to home argument. We live in this world not a fantasy one.
                        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                        Oxfordshire

Comment

Janie - exactly my problem! I pass two petrol stations en route to work, both BP, so a boycott isnt an option for me. Just thought I'd add it into the debate since I coincidentally received it at the same time!

Bubblewrap - think I need to move!!!

Comment

I have to drive 15 miles from home in any direction to get to a petrol station!! I can't be choosy about where I buy fuel from!

Comment

>moggssue

That's a very old and totally rubbish email and belongs in the bin.

And of course in the UK all petrol or diesle is refined by 2 or 3 companies. Stop. It's the additives which are different (Except Shell V Power)

Comment

Lavender oil £63.99 a litre.
                                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X