The price of oil ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of oil ...

NEW YORK, Nov 8 (Reuters) - Oil's record run to near $100 a barrel has brought it within striking distance of the price for the equivalent volume of Coca Cola, but it's still a bargain compared to Jack Daniels whiskey and Chanel No. 5.

Forty-two gallons -- the volume contained in a barrel of oil -- of Chanel No.5 Parfum would cost nearly $1.7 million, according to a study released this year by John S. Herold, Inc.

Thirsty consumers would have to pony up $4,237.63 for a drum of Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey, while a barrel of Coca Cola softdrink would fetch $126.45. Following is a list of the price of a barrel of various goods:
    PRODUCT US$/BARREL
    Gasoline # 103.50
    Coca Cola 126.45
    Milk 163.38
    Snapple 237.72
    Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water 300.61
    Tropicana Orange Juice 307.44
    Budweiser Beer 447.25
    Scope Mouthwash 682.34
    Starbucks Venti Latte 954.24
    Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey Ice Cream 1,609.44
    Pinot Grigio Wine 2,117.75
    Bertoli Olive Oil 2,370.71
    Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey 4,237.63
    McIlhenny Tabasco Pepper Sauce 6,155.52
    Visine A.C. Eye Drops 39,728.64
    FLONASE Nasal Spray 902,304.00
    Chanel No.5 Parfum 1,666,560.00
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Strange that we are prepared to pay £2.50 for a pint of beer yet are not happy chappies when we are asked to pay less than 50p for a pint of petrol!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Where do you get beer for £2.50 a pint?? It's three quid in my local! (Sorry, going off thread ...)

In my case, the difference is I can do without the beer but not the fuel - without my car I couldn't get to work, to earn the money to buy the fuel .....
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Well, I couldn't work without the beer ! Keep the fuel, I'll walk
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They reckon the most expensive substance in the world is printer ink!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

When i first bought petrol 3 shillings and 11pence halfpenny a gallon that is aprox 4new pence a litre how time's have changed or in new money 22and a half litres for a Quid jacob
            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Well, I couldn't work without the beer ! Keep the fuel, I'll walk
              Reminds me of a geordie joke....Geordie goes to the doctors and says "Aave got a bad knee" Doctor says "Can you walk" Geordie says " Walk, a cain't even waaark"

You may need to be a geordie or a mackem to understand the nuances in it!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What happened to the North Sea oil?

I was promiced at school that when I grew up that England would be Rich like Sadui Arabia, I was looking forward to my 6 wifes, one for each day of the week and Sunday off.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

It was never English Oil - was ours
                  And given that we produce loads of it, why have I been paying £1.06 per litre for deisel for the last 5 weeks ????????
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

We are paying £1.10 a litre and it comes in here!
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yeah, but then it leaves Shetland, is refined down south and then humped all the way back up here. Why don't they refine it where it comes ashore (Shetland / Cruden Bay etc) and then we could get it cheap and they would have to pay through the nose further south. You can bet your sweet ass that the Chancellor would think twice about slapping on as much duty if the bulk of the home counties et al had to pay what we do !!
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                        Yeah, but then it leaves Shetland, is refined down south and then humped all the way back up here. Why don't they refine it where it comes ashore (Shetland / Cruden Bay etc) and then we could get it cheap and they would have to pay through the nose further south. You can bet your sweet ass that the Chancellor would think twice about slapping on as much duty if the bulk of the home counties et al had to pay what we do !!
                        sorry to burst your bubble, but in our area we are currently paying 101.9p for unleaded and 105.9 for diesel too.
                        Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                        Bob Dylan

Comment

Spose I can't grumble, 46.5p for a litre of LPG!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Several different beers in our local Wetherspoons £1.69p
                            Wicked Hathern Brewery (Albion special) under £2 @ The Albion Loughborough
                            4 tins of Aldi Shipsterns bitter £2.29
                            P.S. I don't drive.And I can remember Bitter being 1/10d a pint.
                            Last edited by bubblewrap; 19-11-2007, 09:56 PM.
                            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Reminds me of a geordie joke....Geordie goes to the doctors and says "Aave got a bad knee" Doctor says "Can you walk" Geordie says " Walk, a cain't even waaark"

You may need to be a geordie or a mackem to understand the nuances in it!
                              And that reminds me of the kid on lookout on the fishing boat Anna. He passes the coastguard boat and the CG shouts "What's yer name?" "Anna" shouts the lad. "Anna yer na," says the coastguard, "But tell us!"
                              (Same accent required!)
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X