Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the best from your workforce....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the best from your workforce....

I'm sorry, but i HAVE to have a rant...

The OH has just been to the his company's annual 'review' at which the directors usually give the Christmas bonus out, as well as a chat about how the year has gone etc.
    Apparently it hasn't been a brilliant year, and the directors apologise that the company can't afford ANY Christmas bonus this year, OR pay rises for next year. On top of that, OH has been told that if his figures don't pick up next year he's out on his ear.
    HOWEVER, he has only worked for the company for 2 years, and when he took the job he was told that it would take him at least 3 years to revive his patch as the previous rep. had spent nearly 2 years making up fictional reports and visiting no-one.
    On top of that, there was money set aside (about £60,000) to refurbish the showroom in the summer, but the place was flooded in that freak weather and the insurance has paid out for the whole thing, also for a load of 'spoiled' stock (ceramic tiles) which was subsequently sold. Now, where has all that 'spare' money gone? The directors all have nice, shiny new cars... Not Audi's or owt though. One of them has a bl@@dy Maserati !!!!!
    I am so mad

Is this really the way to get your staff to work hard for you?
    I think not.

Excuse the language, but all I can think is 'B@st@rds'

Hope another, much better job comes your OH's way in the New Year, or had he, up till now enjoyed the challenge of getting that particular patch back on its feet?
    Last edited by kirsty b; 17-12-2007, 02:21 PM.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

gawd -that is crappola hun! I'm not surprised you are mad, OH must be feeling a bit kicked in the teeth also
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Just the way to encourage your OH to work hard for them next year hey - maybe its time to move on?
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Oh dear, Sarzwix - what a shame - especially at this time of the year when we could all do with a bit extra!

I do hope that the whole company can pull together to make next year a better one and everyone will benefit, otherwise I can see your OH doing some jobhunting!

Comment

Why am I thinking of David Brent all of a sudden?

Does make me wonder how some of these people run a business based on what you've said?

I have to say, that the company I work for are very good. This year we were each given a company fleece (ok, not fantastic but it's better than nothing), we were taken out for dinner (approx 120 people - including partners) all paid for, we've been given an extra day holiday as the Christmas break is mid-week, we've just been given a card with £50 M&S vouchers - and the liklehood is that we'll get our bonus come April time.

That said, we still have a slight problem with motivation - but that's a management style/education thing.

I hope things work out for your OH, it sounds like he works hard and deserves to be rewarded accordingly, just a shame his bosses don't see the same.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

makes you wonder why the old guy made things up doesnt it?
              when i worked for P&O we didnt get a pay rise for six years and never had a xmas bash or bonus.
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

The tile industry is very small, everybody knows everybody and switch between companies quite regularly. My Pa has been in the business for 30 odd years and knows the directors of OH's company, which is how we know about the insurance money etc. - it's not common knowledge, although of course all the staff can see the Maserati every time they look out of the window.
                But, because it's such a close knit thing, as soon as OH lets it be known he's looking for something new, he'll hear of every vacancy in the country within a week! He was approached a couple of months ago, and turned it down because he thought he was doing ok where he is.
                Luckily, we weren't relying on the bonus for presents, just a bit of extra nice food in the shopping trolley. Just means a bit of extra baking, and a bit less cheese & chocolate!
                Last edited by SarzWix; 17-12-2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix
                  ...He was approached a couple of months ago, and turned it down because he thought he was doing ok where he is!
                  Time to let his current boss know he's being head-hunted? Might get him a pay-rise or at least give him a clue as to how he is valued? If he's not valued and other jobs are available......

Anyway have a great Christmas and 'don't let the b@st@rds grind you down'!
                  Last edited by smallblueplanet; 17-12-2007, 04:36 PM.
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    Time to let his current boss know he's being head-hunted? Might get him a pay-rise or at least give him a clue as to how he is valued? If he's not valued and other jobs are available......

Anyway have a great Christmas and 'don't let the b@st@rds grind you down'!
                    Many years ago my father had a problem with pay, then out of the blue a letter came from another company offering him a lot more pay than he was getting.
                    Father showed the letter to his boss.Guess what.............................pay rise & above the level offered in the letter!
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X