No announcement yet.

Does anybody keep bees?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Digger, I asked about keeping bees on our lotties. It isn't against the rules, but someone who'd kept their's on an allotment for years unexpectantly had a viscious strain. Although they're not banned, they are now actively discouraged. I don't feel that I can keep them in my garden and I can't keep them on my lottie. I was about to ask my brother, who has some land five miles from me, but I know I'm about to seriously fall out with him.

Um, I kept bees about 30 years ago, and I'm quite happy to go out without the full gear. I was in the middle of a swarm three years ago with no protective clothes available. The swarm was in my garden, the only people who were stung were the next door neighbours who were trying to swat them.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

The very best tip I can offer to someone who is thinking of taking up bee keeping is find someone who has bees and ask to accompany then when they open their hive.....you will soon know if it's for you or not!

Comment

We had two little bees at home they are both married now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X