Does anybody keep bees?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody keep bees?

GYO would like any top tips for keeping bees.

Any hints on techniques, positioning of hives, clothing or a miriad of other things will be going into the March issue of GYO.

They make Honey. I bet they'll be putting THAT little gem of information into the March issue..... Clever Wellie!

No actually, but I'd LOVE to keep bees. Don't you have to site the Hive near to a hedge for flight reasons or something?
    I'm looking forward to the March issue already now.

Comment

Now I heard on the One Show that honey is bee vomit - sorry, I didn't produce the show .... eeewww .... I bet they don't put THAT in the March issue!

I have a pal who does, will check her out and come back with (hopefully) more serious stuff
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
        Now I heard on the One Show that honey is bee vomit - sorry, I didn't produce the show .... eeewww .... I bet they don't put THAT in the March issue!

I have a pal who does, will check her out and come back with (hopefully) more serious stuff
        Oh well, cheers, Piskie - that REALLY makes me want to keep bees!!!

The only thing that I know about honey is that it keeps forever - they've found perfectly viable honey in the pyramids - and yet due to the daftnessess in this country the honey producers (no, not the bees, silly!) have to put a sell by date on the jars.

If I produced honey I would put 'best by 7000AD' on.

Comment

I've been trying to keep the 'wild' bees in my garden instead of my neighbours, but thats it I'm afraid ... but looking forward to reading the article - whats a bit of vomit a'twixt friends?!
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I've looked into it - the best thing I could say is to join the nearest British Bee Keeping Association (British Beekeepers Association - BBKA) - they have meetings all over Britain, and hold regular meetings. You'll bee (!) able to learn more about it over the winter/spring months and get contacts ready for when the bees swarm in late summer you know the people who can get you a starter colony. They also have equipment to borrow, second-hand stuff for sale and lots of expertise on hand.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
              Oh well, cheers, Piskie - that REALLY makes me want to keep bees!!!

The only thing that I know about honey is that it keeps forever - they've found perfectly viable honey in the pyramids - and yet due to the daftnessess in this country the honey producers (no, not the bees, silly!) have to put a sell by date on the jars.

If I produced honey I would put 'best by 7000AD' on.
              Sorry to say this, but sell by date is fantastic on anything!!!! otws there would not be reduced prices!!!
              My best regards
              Don Vincenzo

Comment

Hmmmm... it's my Dad's first year with Bees so not too much expertise I'm afraid (though he's avidly reading the book I bought him for Chrimbo so he may be able to throw me some gems )

Also, he's only got a solitary (mason) bee hive, not a big honey producing one..... Wasn't there a makeshift hive in GYO a few months back? Or was that in GW...?

Not on bee keeping I know, but I've heard from lots of places that if you suffer hayfever you should try eating a spoonful of local honey each morning. Something to do with the fact that it's made from the local pollen that you'll be allergic to, and you build up the antibodies...?
                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I keep bees! what kind of tips do you need?

Comment

Hi Headfry, long time no hear. When I saw this thread I thought of you and realised we hadn't seen you around for a while - hope everything has been OK.
                    Last edited by scarey55; 02-01-2008, 01:53 PM.
                    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                      I keep bees! what kind of tips do you need?
                      Hey, Headfry - good to see you - your ears must have been burning as I was only thinking about you a couple of days ago...

Comment

does anyone keep bees ...

Yes Beekeepers
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

No useful knowledge of bees but wanted to say a quick hello to Headfry - you've been missed! Hope you've just been busy and nothing too dreadfully serious has taken your attention!
                          I was feeling part of the scenery
                          I walked right out of the machinery
                          My heart going boom boom boom
                          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Sorry folks, it's been an awful year end, but getting better now i hope.
                            Have missed the forum lots......

Comment

I had bees in the past (over a 15 year period) and am trying to get the "committee" to agree to a couple of hives at the allotments but as usual the only vocal people are those who complain about everything and know nothing about what they are talking about. GRIPE OVER.
                              Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X