Garden Thoughts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Thoughts

Prompted, nay inspired, by Wellie's previous Gentle Thoughts thread, I though I'd share with you a quotation or two from the little book of gardening quotations I was given as a present.

The work of a garden bears visible fruits - in a world where most of our labours seem suspiciously meaningless.Pam Brown

and another which made me smile -

All gardeners know better than other gardeners.Chinese proverb.

Anyone like to add some more?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

A Flummy on hand on The Grapevine is worth lots more than in the bush in the shrubbery.

Comment

How about a Flummery in the shrubbery?
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Is there an echo in here?!

Comment

Cheeky monkeys!

Here's another - "Earth laughs in Flowers".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I like this one - it's so true...

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler
            http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Mind you, I think the smile tends to slip after I've hand weeded the fifth bucket load of couch grass and ground elder roots from just 3 rows of digging
              Last edited by HappyMouffe; 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyMouffe View Post
                Mind you, I think the smile tends to slip after I've hand weeded the fifth bucket load of couch grass and ground elder roots from just 3 rows of digging
                There speaks there voice of bitter experience
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyMouffe View Post
                  It's a pain for sure but isn't it a satisfying feeling at the end of the day, bit weary, perhaps a bit aching, when you go into the kitchen with a basket full of food?

And when you're sitting on a chair on the lottie/in the garden, cup of tea, piece of cake or a bikkie and you look round at what you acheived, you get the ultimate garden thought, the long drawn out gardener's ahhhhhhhh (we all do it at some time) and that really smug bastard, self satisfied feeling of all the grief of work is at work, none of the fools in my life here causing me aggro, just me and him/her if they're helping you, our plot, our fruit, veggies and flowers for the family/friends and the rest of the world can go take a jump at itself.
                  Last edited by TonyF; 13-01-2008, 06:52 AM.
                  TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Ah yes, grand thought. That's why we do it really.
                    Herer's another -

Gardening has compensations out of all proportion to its goals. It is creation in its purest sense. Phyllis McGinley

Comment

TonyF, so true

Comment

Cool thread! I could do with more zen moments when I'm sitting staring out at a sodden garden with the snow blowing horizontally across

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Must improve my reading material! I never come across anything as 'deep' as all this!

That's it................ no more Beano or Dandy!
                          Last edited by Snadger; 13-01-2008, 04:37 PM.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Now, I'm not that religious (and we don't need to go there) but.... this is where my signature comes from and it has always struck a chord.

A garden is a lovesome thing,
                            God Wot,
                            Rose plot,
                            Fringed pool,
                            Fern'd grot—
                            The veriest school
                            Of peace; and yet the fool
                            Contends that God is not—
                            Not God! in gardens! when the eve is cool?
                            Nay, but I have a sign;
                            'Tis very sure God walks in mine.
                            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

"A bird in the hand is worth probably about £15 if it's from Waitrose organic range!"

Seeing that first seedling poke up through the soil, enjoying those first crops and savouring every burst of flavour. Watching the faces of your friends and family as they tuck into the hard earned fruits of your labour and seeing real joy at eating what you have grown - never grows tiring.

Being up to your knees in sh*t isn't a very nice place to be in the work environment, but being knee deep in the stuff on your plot has a whole different meaning.

"Knowing that you'll learn something new tomorrow is what makes it worth doing today!" - HeyWayne 2008
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X