Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh's programme is taking affect

hiya

hubby has just been to waitrose and it looks like hugh's programme is taking affect - the organic/feed range chicken section is normally full, he bought an organic free-range and there was only 3 left!!!

Wonder how long it will last

Anyone else noticed it in there local shop?

The chicken did cost £15 ( i nearlly fell off the sofa) but i suppose you need to pay for a good piece of meat.

Loz
    http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

I think it'll last about two to three weeks then there will be a gradual decrease in organic chicken sold though I do believe sales will still be up on what they were prior to the HFW / JO extravaganza this week. I think tonights programme with Jamie Oliver will be the clincher for a lot of people.

And for what it's worth, a chicken should not cost £15, organic or not.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

yep getting ready for Jamie Oliver programme, planning to eat dinner before it starts as I dont think its wise to eat dinner while its on .

Yep £15 is a lot.
      http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

fifteen quid for a chicken!! blimey - that is my meat budget for the week, probably even a fortnight! The supermarkets don't half know how to cash in. Wonder what they pay for an organic or free-range chook!
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

i'm with SR thinkk it'll be a 5minute wonder then people will drift back & £15 is a bloody ripp-off!!!!
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

We ordered an Organic chicken from Riverford Meat but were sent a Freerange instead as they'd ran out of Organic. Never happened before.
            Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

£15 for a bird?!? In Den Haag I can get 2 for that. 1 hour each!!
              Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
              Cut your engines, cool your wings,
              You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                And the little extras that follow you home too Max
                There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

15 squids?! Thats a bit steep.
                  I agree that this week will be the big sales for organic/freerange, and then things may drop off a bit.
                  For me personally, I'll make the change permanently, but £15? I'm all for getting what you pay for but thats just too much. Think Waitrose may have been taking the michael a bit.
                  Kirsty b xx

Comment

I regularly ug free range chicken (although admittedly not in Waitrose) and its never been anywhere near £15 for a whole bird!! nearer £7/8 in Tesco's for a medium sized one.

Mind you, i bought a gammon the other week from Waitrose as Sainsburys had run out and it was £12 as opposed to £9....go figure
                    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by beefy View Post
                      No souvenirs for me mate!! Even Protea got 2 birds for £15!!

But seriously, £15 for a chook!?!?! Gold plated?
                      Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                      Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                      You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                        Originally posted by beefy View Post
                        Naughty boys!!!

£15 is daft though! I bought a free range chicken for a little under £7 today that I expect to do the five of us a roast + sarnies + soup.
                        I was feeling part of the scenery
                        I walked right out of the machinery
                        My heart going boom boom boom
                        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                        I've come to take you home."

Comment

The supermarket that starts selling quality meat at sensible prices would make a killing at the cash desk but would make themselves very unpopular in the trade.
                          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                            The supermarket that starts selling quality meat at sensible prices would make a killing at the cash desk but would make themselves very unpopular in the trade.
                            Ain't that the truth.
                            But supermarkets only exist to return a profit for the shareholders/ owners so they buy as cheaply as possible and sell as expensively as they think the customer will pay.
                            There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

£15 for a chicken is a bllody outrage - now we need programmes exposing the supermarkets cashing in like this.

When I can go and buy a free ranger (anything, chicken, duck, goose, pintard) from the farmer's market for 5/9 euros (about £3.80 to ££7), ok, no shipping costs, shop costs or overheads but bloody hell .................
                              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X