I've bought meself a new toy!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've bought meself a new toy!

Been so ill since Noo Year I haven't been anywhere, done anything. Still not the full ticket but ventured out today. One of my granddaughter's birthdays on Monday. Have bought and packaged present but missed the post. Went to see daughter, long chat (as you do) back to shop.

I've bought a Satnav. Looked at it earlier and decided I couldn't remember my PIN for my card. My account or card was cloned just before Xmas so everything is new. Three new PIN's to remember.

Anyhoo, didn't buy the Satnav I originally saw. I bought the next spec up. Same as the original but already had Euro maps loaded, loading from Intanet woulda cost more.

Dying to play with it but it has to be charged first.

See Janie tomorrow in the middle of allotment tuning into the satellite .
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Well done for treating yourself. Hope you are feeling up to par soon.

You will be like Madmax - turning on the satnav to go to the local store to make sure it works right!!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

My OH thinks I'm barmy 'cos when the satnav (female voice) gives me directions, I say "thank you". Unless she gets it wrong, then I say "typical woman, can't read a map!"
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
        My OH thinks I'm barmy 'cos when the satnav (female voice) gives me directions, I say "thank you". Unless she gets it wrong, then I say "typical woman, can't read a map!"
        LOL, Madmax's makes me laugh, it is a very Swedish sounding bloke that gives the directions. When you join a motorway it says 'bear (right or left depending on country) and enter the motorway'. It makes me think we are supposed to sink into it or something
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Yeah, yeah. I've been taking the wotsit out of various friends and relatives for having satnav, but the 9 hour trip to Cumbria in August forced me to have a rethink.

I am very able to read a map, BUT you can't do it when you're driving, and with no-one else to read it you're up **** creek. Nowadays, stopping is a no no, and when you are warned on a motorway that there is a problem you have to get off and re-evaluate where you are going.

I'm now convinced that had I had satnav last August my journey would still have taken longer that expected but not nine bloody hours.

Don't know what voice mine has yet, I'll play in the morning. I've agreed to share it wiv me daughter. Back to see her tomorrow. I'll plug in the coordinates and see what it does.
          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
          Oxfordshire

Comment

I drive for my living and the in car satnav is invaluable to my sanity, especially when I'm working in city centres.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
              Unless she gets it wrong, then I say "typical woman, can't read a map!"

Tsssssssss.........
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oooh! NATSAV.... (as Hazel on the Hill's Adorable Mummy calls it.....)
                And Haze doesn't have one, or Trousers and I would have borrowed it to get to The Piglets from 'Hers' for Christmas without getting horrendously lost in Leicester, just because Fat Nigel didn't lend us his? (Long Story. Don't go there.....?)

And to be honest, JanieB, it's just so lovely that you've got one, because they're brilliant....
                ....and you'll be able to find us where we are near your friends now, no probs!

Comment

Well. I've had a play . It managed to get me to my brother's house OK. 5 miles up the road. I don't exactly agree with the route, but hey ho.

It's very easy to use. I've plugged in several other addresses. It can't find my eldest son's but neither can the Royal Mail's postcode finder even though the flats are 20 years old!

Have Satnav, Janie's travelling .
                  Oxfordshire

Comment

Oh,Oh,don't mention Sat-Navs to me,I go all to pieces!!!!
                    I go to dog shows all over the country and used to get A.A. maps to get me to my destination,Papers propped on the dashboard,going round roundabouts five times,sweat pouring off my brow(Never,never again!!)
                    Then my beloved bought a sat-nav to help him in his work and my life has been transformed Now I just put in the Post Code and drive off. It may be magic,!!I don't know and don't care,This calm and caring voice tells me exactly where to go and gets me to where I should be and I am amazed!!

Comment

like all technology they;re fab when they work correctly.....picture OH, DD & me trying to find friends new place in lincs & satnav didnt/couldnt find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!language was choice & OH has ozzy osbourne loaded as the voice....a
                      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

SatNav - t'is the future!

Last year LadyWayne and I went down to Falmouth for a few days, we then drove down to St Ives, and then over to Padstow (Padstein as it's known locally of course!). We never had one disagreement! Using our previous navigation device - WifeNav we'd had countless "disagreements".

Looking to buy one for when we go to Tuscany later in the year.

Good on ya Janie!
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Dont know as I'd trust them A big artic got stuck in our village (It was on the telly) road was wide enough but it couldn't get round the rightangled bend I make Granny drive and I navigate using large scale OS maps.
                          Learned to do it 50 years ago on back of Lambretta Scooter.
                          It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Well. I've had a play. It managed to get me in the general vicinity of my brother's house. As several houses have the same postcode that was the best it could do. The houses have names not numbers and that facility is missing.

I plugged in the post code for work. It took me a five miles longer route and (as I followed it religiously) I ended up at a building site the wrong end of the business park. If it had been my first day I couldn't have relied on it to get me there on time.

So, it has the same advantages of a map without having to stop occasionally to refer to it (I'm on my own GPD) and the same disadvantages that you may still have to ask someone for directions to the right building when you get there.

Altogether, I'm really pleased with it. It tells me when I'm going too fast and when there are speed cameras. It recalculates if you have to renegotiate your route.

It's first "proper" trial will be on Wednesday when my daughter's using it to find her way to an interview.
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpadragon View Post
                              Dont know as I'd trust them A big artic got stuck in our village (It was on the telly) road was wide enough but it couldn't get round the rightangled bend I make Granny drive and I navigate using large scale OS maps.
                              Learned to do it 50 years ago on back of Lambretta Scooter.
                              A lot of caravans (as trailers) come through Caernarfon on way to various campsites. One used satnav and took a very narrow road but there wasn't enough room for it to turn out of that road into another. Son calls that particular road - scary!
                              My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
                              Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X