No announcement yet.

HELP! Feeling my age - and showing it.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Feeling my age - and showing it.

I'm babysitting for my grandchildren Unfortunately I'm doing it in my daughter's ultra modern home. I can't work the T.V. - it has more buttons than an Apollo mission, I can't work the gas fire - it seems to have no buttons at all, the lighting is so trendily muted that I can't see to read. My grandson has finally gone to bed, but I've dropped several steps in his estimation - A Nanny who can't work the telly? What use is that? We've had a good time playing some of the old rhyming games, but he was still muttering about his Nemo DVD when he dropped off. So, despite all my protestations I think it's about time I caught up with the 21st century, unfortunately for that to happen I think the 21st century is going to have to slow down a bit. My own gran was born in 1899, but she managed to keep up with things until the late 1970's. and just about every piece of technology had been invented during her lifetime. What I'm struggling with are things which have always been around for me, but which seem to have morphed into something completely alien. Is it me or are things just getting too unnecessarily sophisticated? - You'll note that I'm having no trouble at all using son-in-law's posh computer.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

LOL, thanks for making me chuckle! I know exactly what you mean. We had a video recorder which I could programme, play stuff etc on no problem at all, Madmax decided we needed a DVD recorder instead - result, I sometimes watch a movie (on my mini dvd player in the bedroom) and I cannot record anything at all unless I watch it too (now doesn't that just negate the purpose of the equipment). Even better, the kids can't work it either!!!

Exactly when did it become trendy to have more buttons than 'on/off', 'volume up/down', programme up/down'?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I think your right Bluemoon. I think we're approaching the stage where things have become so complicated that manufacturers will not be able to sell their goods because nobody knows how to make them work. I'm all for technology which makes life easier but I think it's going too far. Well, too far for me anyway.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Bluemoon you sound a bit like my mum (78)She still writes cheques out thus
        £100 00 00d no bother though the bank still cashes them
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Last year I bought a car which has a really easy to use radio/CD player. OH was desperate to replace it with a ‘better’ radio/CD player. When I use OH’s car with his complicated system I sometimes end up listening to the shipping forecast because I don’t know how to change it. It’s not that I couldn’t work it out. It would mean that I would have to either fiddle with it whilst driving or parked up – Former is too dangerous and time is too short for the latter.
          Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Bluemoon, it sounds like you've had a bit of an evening!! I can't help you with the tv at all I'm afraid, mine is a nice chunky thing (I swear if it was any deeper at the back it'd fall off the corner unit) and is dead simple to use. However, as I run a fireplace company for a living, might I suggest that the gas fire might be a remote control fire....... yes I know, another remote control, sorry!!
            “The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does.”

Comment

Likewise!! I babysat for my grandchildren last night, and wanted to watch Casualty on BBC1. PROBLEMS!!! Too many remote controls, too many channels, and granddaughter only seems to know how to find CBeebies and the music channels. Sorted eventually. Technology does have it's uses, but it also creates problems. Maybe it's a sign of approaching old age, but I do long for a simpler life.

Comment

Noooooooo, Rustylady. Don't ever watch Cbeebies. Last time I did I had the Iggle Piggle song going round and round in my head for FIVE DAYS! Even just typing this I'm having to think la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaa, just to stop the Iggle Piggle song getting in there.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

A friend of mine laughed at me recently when I failed to record a programme for him (he was busy attended the birth of his son) on my video. We have a recordable DVD player which was bought for us 3 years ago and I have only ever used it to watch DVDs. I'm considering giving the video to my Mum to sell in the charity shop.

My digital jukebox stereo thing does far more than I will ever need, and by the time we have children I'm sure it'll look positively ancient.

Ah, the march of time...
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

My 9 year old son is my IT teacher, he constantly amazes me with what he can do.

Talking of which, I'm off to Salisbury this pm for computer training at work, any ideas for keeping me awake?
                    Last edited by lainey lou; 28-01-2008, 10:40 AM.
                    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                      LOL, thanks for making me chuckle! I know exactly what you mean. We had a video recorder which I could programme, play stuff etc on no problem at all, Madmax decided we needed a DVD recorder instead - result, I sometimes watch a movie (on my mini dvd player in the bedroom) and I cannot record anything at all unless I watch it too (now doesn't that just negate the purpose of the equipment). Even better, the kids can't work it either!!!

Exactly when did it become trendy to have more buttons than 'on/off', 'volume up/down', programme up/down'?
                      Neither can I. Thats why I like the simplicity of 50's jukeboxes. Turn them on, wait for the tubes to warm up, drop your coin in and make your selection! Then enjoy. And they too have remote controls - wall boxes all over our kitchen/diner!
                      Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                      Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                      You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                        Neither can I. Thats why I like the simplicity of 50's jukeboxes. Turn them on, wait for the tubes to warm up, drop your coin in and make your selection! Then enjoy. And they too have remote controls - wall boxes all over our kitchen/diner!
                        I thought the "remote" was you Max when Shirl tells you to get up & turn it up/down?
                        Last edited by bubblewrap; 28-01-2008, 10:19 PM.
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                          I thought the "remote" was you Max when Shirl tells you to get up & turn it up/down?
                          A man of experience I see. Indeed there is that fact. But, being a clever little boy I have installed remote volume controls and reject buttons around the house as well! Nothing like 'Louis Louis' at full output though!
                          Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                          Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                          You've taken me home...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X