Mispronunciation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mispronunciation

Just had a chat with one of the dudes in the office, discussing the increasing amount of mispronunciation we seem to encounter.

Of my "favourites":-

Pecific
    - Being a little more exact, but not really "let's be pecific about something..." It's one letter!
    Aks
    - The seemingly "street" way of asking a question. "can I aks (pronounced "arkse") you a question?" How can you get three letters in such a mess?
    Somethink
    - nothing pecific, just anythink you can think of.

What mispronunciations get you going?
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

It's NUCLEAR not NUCULAR Grrrrrr

*stamps feet and snarls

A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

"Why don't the English learn how to speak" Professor Henry Higgins(Rex Harrison)
      My Fair Lady
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post

*stamps feet and snarls

Mmmmm Thats UNCLEAR?
        Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post

*stamps feet and snarls

We'd be here all day if we listed George "Dubya".

I can never tell if when he's talking about "terrists" if he means the good ones or the other?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Pedentic; the only people who ever pick up on it are pedantic so I use it all the time on them. Gets them every time.

Comment

Why does every like sentence like have to like have the word like in it? Not a mispronunciation but it bugs me just the same!
              Also these days everything has to be "upped" instead of increased, I just don't get it!
              The one I pick up on at work most frequently is prostrate instead of prostate! Means something totally different!
              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Someone I have worked with quite a bit over the past 9 years or so does the "pecific" too - used to drive me dotty but as I don't work as closely to her anymore, I try to ignore it.

The toddler's name is another one - my mum CANNOT get it into her head that it is not starting with "Kee" but with "Quee" - they are 2 totally different sounds but she is convinced, because she was half asleep when she first heard it, that it is "Keeva". And this is the woman who used to go nuts because our gymnastics instructor couldn't get my sister's name right (is pronounced "Sur Ka" but gym ins used to say "Seer sha").

Comment

Originally posted by Winged one View Post

The toddler's name is another one - my mum CANNOT get it into her head that it is not starting with "Kee" but with "Quee" - they are 2 totally different sounds but she is convinced, because she was half asleep when she first heard it, that it is "Keeva". And this is the woman who used to go nuts because our gymnastics instructor couldn't get my sister's name right (is pronounced "Sur Ka" but gym ins used to say "Seer sha").
                  Que?
                  Last edited by HeyWayne; 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

It's more a grammar point, but generally the misuse of "of [ov]" instead of "have" ..... and the "ask/ax" one as well....

Comment

So many people seem to say these....somethink and nuffink!!!! it's something and nothing and also "these ones" what's a ones??? it should be just these!!!

Drives me mad!!!!
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                        So many people seem to say these....somethink and nuffink!!!! it's something and nothing and also "these ones" what's a ones??? it should be just these!!!

Drives me mad!!!!
                        Or, summink and nuffink! GRRrrrrrrr!

Wish everyone would speak proper like wot I do!
                        Last edited by pigletwillie; 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

prostrate...when they mean prostate
                          I worked with someone who said revelent

I did a computor course at work. One of the other girls was trying to help by saying press 8.box ..can I see 8 no, or 7 or 9....wait for it .....she meant OUT box
                          Last edited by pigletwillie; 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM.
                          Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                            We'd be here all day if we listed George "Dubya".

I can never tell if when he's talking about "terrists" if he means the good ones or the other?
                            What about Amerkins?
                            do I need tro tell people what a merkin is?
                            Brian Clough

Comment

He's about as much use as a merkin, only less atractive!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X