No announcement yet.

Mispronunciation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lerve the langwidge you an have lots of fun with it.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

Sluff Bucks, it always sounded something nasty!!

valmarg

Comment

There is a village just to the south of Nottingham called Gotham no Batman dosen't live there it is pronounced Goat ham!
        Gotham Village Home Page
        Brian Clough

Comment

I can't comment on mispronunciation because i spend all day mispronouncing words ....my french is lousy..................
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
            I can't comment on mispronunciation because i spend all day mispronouncing words ....my french is lousy..................
            A bit like inspector cluseau?
            Or the policeman in Hello! Hello!
            Last edited by bubblewrap; 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
              Mind you one can have fun with Mallerpropisms Eg
              Incontinant & Incompetant.

Mallerpropisms!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's your Xmas prezzie sorted BW, A Conchize Ocsferd Dicshonery
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                We'd be here all day if we listed George "Dubya".

I can never tell if when he's talking about "terrists" if he means the good ones or the other?

Come on now HW, it's spelt Terrierists

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                  Mallerpropisms!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's your Xmas prezzie sorted BW, A Conchize Ocsferd Dicshonery
                  Consice Oxford Dictionary? To long for me unless they do an abridged version?
                  Last edited by bubblewrap; 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

[QUOTE=HeyWayne;173142]We'd be here all day if we listed George "Dubya".

I think Dubya is verbly incontinant
                    Brian Clough

Comment

I seem to spend half of my life saying "It's got a T in it!!!" to my kids, it drives me bonkers how slurred words become when T's are missed out eg; wa-er, par-y...

Also, spelling & grammar mistakes in magazines - shouldn't these people have Spell-check? Or even better, an English O-level??!!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        I seem to spend half of my life saying "It's got a T in it!!!" to my kids, it drives me bonkers how slurred words become when T's are missed out eg; wa-er, par-y...

Also, spelling & grammar mistakes in magazines - shouldn't these people have Spell-check? Or even better, an English O-level??!!

Is that anything like the 'P' in fish?

Comment

I don't even have an 0 level,but certain things were "hammered" into me at school eg whether to use their or there. or which to/too/two,to use.
                          I try my best to get it right or should it be write or rite? but sometimes my spelling lets me down.
                          I find the general standard of English to be non too good with a lot of school leavers these days & I wonder what has gone wrong.
                          I was in the next to bottom class in my secondary school but I think my standard of written English is quite good.
                          By the way I left school in 1965
                          Last edited by bubblewrap; 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

Thing is BW, you're not claiming to be a writer/journalist are you? Or a magazine editor/proof reader! Surely someone ought to be spotting spelling/grammar mistakes before a magazine makes it to the press??!
                            I've always found the best way of learning to spell is to read a lot - that way you get to recognise what the word should look like & you can tell it looks 'wrong'.
                            BTW, I did get my English o'levels, but not many others

Comment

I actualy have a problem with publishers using spellcheckers because they seem to think they no longer need proof readers. The problem with spellcheckers is that. as long as a word is spelt correctly then it doesn't matter that it's the wrong word eg which, witch or sun, son or even has for as. You would be surprised how often these things crop up.

I also get annoyed when people use the word decimated to mean completely destroyed when it actualy means reduced by a factor of 10.
                              "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Comment

Decimate? I thought that is what you did to coconuts or was it desecrate?
                                Last edited by bubblewrap; 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X