this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
      my two annoying favourites are
      the city of Ba(r)th
      and could you pass me a glarss!!
      Oh! I thought it was Baff
      Last edited by bubblewrap; 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

I think we're into regional accents now. Don't forget they are an important part of the language. The first thing you notice when someone you've not met before speaks to you is the regional accent, it's part of the introduction, just as is the handshake, the smile or the mode of dress, etc.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
          I think we're into regional accents now. Don't forget they are an important part of the language. The first thing you notice when someone you've not met before speaks to you is the regional accent, it's part of the introduction, just as is the handshake, the smile or the mode of dress, etc.
          Like there's no "F" in Loughborough?
          Brian Clough

Comment

... and there's no 'F' in beer in the pub. OOps! sorry
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
              ... and there's no 'F' in beer in the pub. OOps! sorry
              There no "F" in photo copier but there is a "F" in OFFSTED
              Brian Clough

Comment

People pronouncing calabrese "broccoli"?
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  People pronouncing calabrese "broccoli"?
                  Pronouncing Dublya intelegent.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                    my two annoying favourites are
                    the city of Ba(r)th
                    and could you pass me a glarss!!
                    Mine is people not starting sentences with upper case letters

You can guarantee that it'll be the Northerner who brings up the whole Bath, glass, grass, class thing (LadyWayne is from Sheffield).

I bet you pronounce tomato as "tomarto" though!
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                      Mine is people not starting sentences with upper case letters

You can guarantee that it'll be the Northerner who brings up the whole Bath, glass, grass, class thing (LadyWayne is from Sheffield).

I bet you pronounce tomato as "tomarto" though!
                      Another one when using I or I'll or I'm the I should always be upper case.

I when used on it's own should always be upper case.

I dont use upper case when texting on my mobile.
                      Last edited by bubblewrap; 05-02-2008, 07:38 AM.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Mixing upper and lower case mid word....I juSt thInk Its irritatInG........

and putting apostrophe where it shouldn't is another one ( or leaving it out!).....

But texting is a different world all together...

( Oh and peeps who do this ...........all the time!!)

Who invented all this 'correct English ' anyway??? Isn't this all about languages developing?????
                        I bet the peeps in the 16th Century thought they wrote 'correct English'?? (or Latin!)?
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Mixing upper and lower case mid word....I juSt thInk Its irritatInG........

and putting apostrophe where it shouldn't is another one ( or leaving it out!).....

But texting is a different world all together...

( Oh and peeps who do this ...........all the time!!)

Who invented all this 'correct English ' anyway??? Isn't this all about languages developing?????
                          I bet the peeps in the 16th Century thought they wrote 'correct English'?? (or Latin!)?
                          It's sometimes better to do ....................................thus than use a colon : depending on how you want people to read your post.
                          ............................means a longer pause(pregnant?) than a colon.
                          I still think certain rules should be kept to though.
                          Last edited by bubblewrap; 05-02-2008, 08:09 AM.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

Who's pregnant???
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                              Or, summink and nuffink! GRRrrrrrrr!

Wish everyone would speak proper like wot I do!
                              What annoys me (alright, I'm at the age when LOTS of things annoy me!!) is the v where there should be a th. Even educated people do it. Vis and Vat for example. I also despise the glottle stop, compu'er for example. I do like a well pronounced 't' !

On here, I ought to mention glysophate instead of glyphosate. A certain gardeners' question time team member used to do that one often, until someone must have put him right. All the old f*rts like me complaining probably!

On the summink topic, I get dischuffed when people say anerthing instead of anything. Lizzie does it on the Archers. I want to slap her!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                Who's pregnant???
                                The paws
                                A pregnant pause is a longer pause than a colon indicates.
                                Last edited by bubblewrap; 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X