Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Takes deep breath"
    Advise - as in 'I'm asking for advise'

Also 'gotten'. I read an American book over the weekend (US author, US publisher, that only had this dreadful word in it once - I'm thinking of framing it) I also rarely go out in October as I can't bare 'Halloween' - as opposed to Hallowe'en. Also anyone who pronounces the letters th as f, also noo, toona and the like, also......
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
      "Takes deep breath"
      Advise - as in 'I'm asking for advise'

Also 'gotten'. I read an American book over the weekend (US author, US publisher, that only had this dreadful word in it once - I'm thinking of framing it) I also rarely go out in October as I can't bare 'Halloween' - as opposed to Hallowe'en. Also anyone who pronounces the letters th as f, also noo, toona and the like, also......
      That is truly weird!

I was just reading a brochure from our American subsidiary and the first line reads: "-*Company Name*- has gotten down to basics and produced one of the fastest and simplest...."

Isn't that veird?

The "th" and "f" thing makes me chuckle. My parents (Dad in particular) used to drum it into us that "th" does not sound like "f" - my little sister would subesquently count to ten thus: "one, two, three, thour, thithe, six, sethen, eight, nine, ten" She was paranoid about getting it wrong. We still laugh about it now.
      Last edited by HeyWayne; 06-02-2008, 09:53 AM.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Don't get me on Merkinisms. Unfortunately, although 'gotten' annoys the hell out of me, it is in fact more correct than our 'got', which teachers always told me was a dreadful word to use (as in 'forgotten'). Merkins seem to know when to use a 'z' in words ending in ise/ize. Oh and that's 'zed' not 'zee'.

And 'erbs, what's that all about? It starts with an 'h'.

AND why do 99% of toiletry/makeup adverts have to have Merkins doing the voiceover/acting. We do actually have some very beautiful actors/actresses in this country. No wonder I don't wear makeup very often.

Whooops. Ranting again. Brian was a real pedant over the English language and it's rubbed off on me.
        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
        Oxfordshire

Comment

Yes, don't mind gotten as in forgotten, ill-gotten, but loathe the way it's used as a lazy way to not think of a more appropriate word as in 'He'd gotten hungry' 'I've gotten out of bed' etc.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I think that removal of the verb 'to get', in all its forms, from the English language would be no bad thing.

No only would te children have to think of an alternative to 'I got got', but John Humphries could no longer inform us that "the number of passes will get taken into account"

KK

Comment

You couldn't have this then?

YouTube - Beach Boys - I Get Around
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

Something that really gets my goat is when Christmas is written "Xmas". Grrr.

Also, occasionally, I do use semi-colons when writing/typing

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Oh yes BW. I was once seriously angry and embarrassed when our then Lord Mayor opened "This Xmas Fayre" - the ignorant blighter actually pronounced it exmas!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Oh yes BW. I was once seriously angry and embarrassed when our then Lord Mayor opened "This Xmas Fayre" - the ignorant blighter actually pronounced it exmas!
                    One good point then he is now an ex mayor or should that be mare?
                    Last edited by bubblewrap; 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

• I've just been listening to a young lady explaining something to an interviewer on radio. I lost count of the number of times she finished a phrase with "You know". Well, if we did know, there wasn't much point in her giving the interview,was there?
                      Last edited by terrier; 06-02-2008, 01:50 PM.
                      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

• " Can you borrow me that?" ...aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• confusing teach & learn
                          ie that'll learn you. instead of teach.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            " Can you borrow me that?" ...aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!
                            Conversely, when I was younger, my classmates would ask me if they could 'lend' my... whatever it was they wanted to borrow. I asked them who they wanted to lend it TO. They looked very confused at that point .

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

• I'm probably about to upset Birdie Wife and Flummery, but Xmas is a perfectly legitimate abbreviation of Christmas in written form. However, it is still pronounced as "Christmas" when spoken.

I had an odd experience two years ago with one of the utility companies when Brian died. I had to deal with overdue bills and changing them to my name confused with letters from his daughters solicitor. A very nice lady had written down a message I had left and had shortened the word Executor to Exor. (correctly). When her manager rang me back he said "Exor" in the conversation. I didn't correct him but said the full word in my conversation. He corrected me "No madame it definitely says Exor on here" Duuuh! . I think the positions should have been exchanged.
                              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

• What- with all our complaints - no wonder people's eyes glaze over when we talk to them!!! ( I thought it was to do with gardening....and family tree stuff wot did it!)
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X