Squash bargain (?) at Lidl

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squash bargain (?) at Lidl

Went in our Lidl today and they have a 'mixed squash' package - little tray, compost, lid and 6 seeds - for 69p. The picture shows lots of pretties including Red Kuri but the seeds themselves look a bit indeterminate! I reckon even getting just one 'ordinary' pumpkin is ok at that price though.

All the details were in 'European' so I don't know quite what they were but they had the same deal on some sort of spinach-y type leaves and some flowers too.
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

There are a lot of these type of 'all in one growing packs' about usually aimed at the gift market. Its a safe bet most disappoint.
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
      There are a lot of these type of 'all in one growing packs' about usually aimed at the gift market. Its a safe bet most disappoint.
      I prefer to think of them as having the potential to suprise

Comment

For 69p, I'm willing to give it a go too.

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
          I bought one of these from Wilkos consisting of two varieties of sweet pepper and two varieties of hot chilli peppers.
          I sowed 9 seeds of each type in each conveniently separated compartments last monday and to my joy i now have 36 inch and a half seedlings 100% germination.
          I`d say give them a go. Minty X
          " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
            Went in our Lidl today and they have a 'mixed squash' package - little tray, compost, lid and 6 seeds - for 69p. The picture shows lots of pretties including Red Kuri but the seeds themselves look a bit indeterminate! I reckon even getting just one 'ordinary' pumpkin is ok at that price though.
            I wish I had come across this sort of mixed squash seeds package for 69p which you can imagine can work out substantially cheaper than buying the variety individually. However my negativity tells me that the majority of the seeds would not be my sought after choice . Did the mix have sweet dumpling or buttercup or acorn squash or delicata type...bet it had the butternut coz everybody's got that one already anyway.
            Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
              I wish I had come across this sort of mixed squash seeds package for 69p which you can imagine can work out substantially cheaper than buying the variety individually. However my negativity tells me that the majority of the seeds would not be my sought after choice . Did the mix have sweet dumpling or buttercup or acorn squash or delicata type...bet it had the butternut coz everybody's got that one already anyway.
              Well, the picture shows 20 different types of squash. Being realistic, yeah, the ones in the packet are probably all rather mundane (if they germinate at all) but I'm very much a 'my glass is half full' person I shall report back on my results!

Comment

At that price, go for it!! I'd far rather have a packet of mixed seeds than a huge quantity of one variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                  Well, the picture shows 20 different types of squash. Being realistic, yeah, the ones in the packet are probably all rather mundane (if they germinate at all) but I'm very much a 'my glass is half full' person I shall report back on my results!
                  20 really ? That's enough to have all the different squash types I mentioned plus more...I would have thought. Sorry how many seeds in there and does it not say what seeds inside or is that in German or Danish ?
                  Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X