If you don't ask ........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you don't ask ........

So, I was at the farm yesterday, chatting over lunch (as you do) and one of the other family people there was talking about horses - there are 5 unstabled shires on this farm, taken across from the UK. The guy lives close by and he mentioned 'mucking out' his horses. I casually asked him whether he used the manure from the stable and he said it's not much good it's all mixed with straw and piled up in the yard, some of it's been there for 2 years!!! And no he doesn't use it (not gardeners at all) and how much would I want to take away.

Straight on the phone to the gardening chums at the chateau and casually asked how much we could take of their hands.

Later this week, we're raiding the farm, two trailers (mine with plastic bags, J doesn't want the inside of the trailer getting covered in horse muck ) for the first two loads.

Well rotted, recycled, replenished on a daily basis - and he has a pile of pallets he wants to get rid of, even better.

See, if you don't ask .............
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Wonderful. Well done TonyF.

Now I have a similar supply of manure as I keep my horseys at a livery yard - my problem is no towbar and no way would I put a bag of poop in my beloved car!! Yard owners do not have time or inclination to tow a trailer full to my house. Bum!!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Well done that man! And I bet they are well chuffed to have got rid!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They're delighted to get rid of it and you can't really refuse to help, being neighbourly and all.

That's the joke Piskie, if it's got straw in, it's better usually, but they're not gardeners so thought straw was sort of polluting it.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Straw is good, woodshavings is bad cos you don't know where they're from or what chemicals they have in them.
          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Any free resource is a good resource if it is of use to you and if the deal helps both sides - everyones happy!

Its always that first question when you effectively ask for the freebie in your sights!

I've done this with flower buckets this year - and have done really well - only around another 30 to acquire!

Be brave and ask! - the reply will only be yes or no - and when the stuff is a 'nuisance' to its current owner - they'll be only too happy to get 'rubbish' taken away for free.

Comment

Also the woodshavings use nitrogen from the soil when they rot down, Piskie, (more than straw) - and it takes longer to rot too, so not so good.

Comment

As a horseowner, I can testify that there's always an inexhaustable supply of 'muck' too...! Always glad of some kind soul to come and collect some.
                Last edited by muckdiva; 19-02-2008, 02:07 PM.
                All at once I hear your voice
                And time just slips away
                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X