Smelly Stream

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly Stream

When we moved into our new house last year, we found that the little stream running down the side of our property was a bit stinky. The local water authority (after much hassle) eventually found out that a pipe was cracked allowing foul water into a storm drain. A couple of weeks ago they came, dug up our drive and fixed it. Hooray!

But the stream still seems to have stinky stuff in it - anyone got any ideas how to clear away the residual smelly slimy stuff that is still lurking in our stream?

This is my OH's field and he reckons that your best bet, - assuming that the source of contamination has been removed - is simply to allow nature to regain its balance. Unfortunately the processes of break down and removal of contaminants is usually performed by bacteria and can be slow and quite stinky in itself. There are things which can be added that the water board might consider doing for you, but it is possible that this would affect the balance of nature further downstream and would probably only be considered if there was a serious health risk from the stream to you or others. It would be illegal for you to add anything to a water course yourself. If, however, you can see muck and gunk collected anywhere, it would be OK for you to disperse it, but be careful as you can have no certainty about what is there.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Is it worth contacting them again and asking them from a health and safety point of view if it's safe?
      If you asked them to put it in writing, I'm sure they'd be very thorough in their research!!
      Do you have children nearby who could be 'at risk' if it's contaminated???
      Maybe they could have it flushed out ?? ( only a thought!)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The heavy rain that is called the cricket season will flush it out
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Nicos is right, as soon as you mention Health and Safety and 'put it in writing' they'll be there like a shot.
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Thanks for replies. We have been flushing it through ourselves with a hose, and my OH has spent a very smelly hour or so digging out some of the sludge to make sure there's a channel for the water to travel down. The stream does run adjacent to a children's playground, so we'll probably use that as leverage with the water company.

How long might nature take to regain its balance? I am hoping that IF we get any good weather this summer, we won't be in the garden with pegs on our noses!

Comment

OH also says that because water courses and their various tributaries and offshoots are owned and managed by various different bodies; councils, NRA, water supply companies, there is a tendency for each organisation to try and pass the buck, so stand your ground, but be prepared for a few frustrating phone calls - And please don't shout at the poor harrassed old boy who eventually comes to analyse it!
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X