Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GYO bread...interesting article

BBC NEWS | Magazine | How to grow your own wheat

When i first read that i thought April the first come early then i thought no this bloke actually believe's what he is preaching .
    But realistically it would not work for years and years the good people of this country have encouraged the birds to feed in their gardens so they woul think christmas come early and not understand why every body was shooing them off.
    If you managed to grow any at all you would not grow enough to make a couple of scone's jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I agree willowstar.......it's a shame it takes up so much land to cultivate it though!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've always loved the idea of doing this, and one day I might, just to say that the loaf I baked was truly homemade, but I would have thought that it would be more sensible to grow our own veg, reducing demand for shop bought and thus freeing up land for more wheat cultivation.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

doubt I'll ever do this as I only have a small garden and we don't eat much bread...but I was pleased overall to see an article talking about GYO veg in general. the more the merrier ey?

Comment

Wiggly Wigglers sell packets of wheat seeds, I quite fancy giving it a go - if I manage to get my hands on another plot!

Comment

Hi - I tried this on part of my plot last year. I never got around to milling it, as I decided that it was worth more as a dried decoration, what with the relative low price of even a good organic bread flour.

It did fairly well, despite the lousy summer....

...most of it made it through and seemed to ripen / dry thanks to the sunshine in september....

...but even that wouldn't have been enough for a bread roll ; )
              http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
              http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X