Does anyone want to be taller?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone want to be taller?

When my back was really bad I was trying pretty much anything to alleviate the pain. One of the methods I explored was an inversion table (that thing that you strap your ankles into and it tilts you upside down).

I bought it on ebay and assembled it at home. Strapped myself in, and tilted back. My head touched the floor. Then, I discovered my centre of gravity was higher than most people (in reverse if you follow me) so it was nearly impossible to pull myself up the right way.

As with many things in life it turns out that I was too big. I did use it on a few occasions - it actually feels nice being upside down funnily enough, but it's sat in the spare room gathering dust since.

I did consider selling it on ebay, but I'm not sure I can be @rsed - it weighs a tonne and would cost a fortune to post.

Does anyone on here want it? Gratis? Pick up only?

Edit: I cannot guarantee that you will actually grow any - I was already tall before I started using it.
    Last edited by HeyWayne; 19-03-2008, 10:20 AM.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

What? Sorry... stopped concentrating after the bondage HW image...
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Put it on ebay but specify 'pick-up only', seen it on lots of 'large objects' for sale.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I always fancied a "Back-Rack" when mine was at it's worst, but never managed to find the funds (£235)... Discovered a way of replicating it's affects (for free!) though which I still do now if it starts going squiffy again.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I always fancied a "Back-Rack" when mine was at it's worst, but never managed to find the funds (£235)... Discovered a way of replicating it's affects (for free!) though which I still do now if it starts going squiffy again.
          I never paid that much for it!

Which do you do, the front-down legs off the bed, of face up on the floor with legs on the bed?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Front down, feet off the bed - I'm not tall enough to get my legs over the edge!
            I didn't know this was a well-known technique, I thought I'd invented it!! Rubbish physios I had if they could have suggested it and didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              Front down, feet off the bed - I'm not tall enough to get my legs over the edge!
              I didn't know this was a well-known technique, I thought I'd invented it!! Rubbish physios I had if they could have suggested it and didn't....
              Try this book, it was recommended to me by my physio: Amazon.co.uk: Stretching: Bob Anderson: Books

Can't recommend it enough!

What would Vedder do?

Comment

One of my 'older than me' clients which means just that, and I'm completely rubbish at putting an age to people I adore, (Mrs. Hyphen-Hyphen) but she has to be at least 65? and whenever she has a bad back these days, she hooks her fingers over the top of a door, and just 'hangs there' until she feels better. She used to do that 'hang over the side of the bed' when her husband was alive, because he'd hold her feet, but these days she has to manage on her own.

I had a 'rotated pelvis' as a kid, and it took many years to correct it at The Osteopath, via a deckchair and being thumped in the back with a beanbag. Mmm.... no wonder I turned out as I did!......

Comment

It should go if you put it on eBay, or Freecycle (local pickup/buyer collects, kind of thing).

I've tried everything for my back: posture chairs (useless), pills (useless), red wine (more effective than pills, but makes me fall over). A gym ball - big inflatable thingy, about £5 - is really good. http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...m-gym-ball.jpg You can lay on your front or your back, and stretch out your spine gently...so long as your balance is good, else it will have the same effect as the red wine.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yoga is really good for a bad back, especially some of the inverted asanas (poses), one in particular I found great was to go into a headstand, then bend your hips over a tall stool (bar stool type I used to have in my kitchen) and just hang their, felt really good!

Other useful back poses include kneeling on the floor and bending forwards at the waist, stretching your arms along the floor until your forehead touches and then relax, kneeling on the floor and then relaxing backwards until your head and shoulders are on the floor, then relax. Also try standing feet together and bending forwards at the waist and reaching to the floor and relaxing, and other similar poses!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                      Try this book, it was recommended to me by my physio: Amazon.co.uk: Stretching: Bob Anderson: Books

Can't recommend it enough!
                      Had a quick shufty at it Wayne... Bits of me would be 'coming loose' if I tried some of those stretches!!
                      This is my 'bible' for all things physio; Amazon.co.uk: Hypermobility Syndrome: Diagnosis and Management for Physiotherapists: Grahame Keer,Rosemary Keer,Rodney Grahame: Books. Bit pricey, but definately worth it for me.

One thing that a lot of people don't realise, is that your feet have to have proper support before your back will sort itself out. For instance, if your shoes constantly wear down more on one side than the other, then your ankles are going to be slightly out of line, carrying on up to your knees, then hips & pelvis, which in turn affects your spine, shoulders & neck. Simple to sort out too - just buy some properly shaped insoles from a chemist (with arch support etc), or mention it to your physio if you have one.

Comment

No let up for my bad back since I slept on 'a strange bed' whilst house-sitting a few weeks back. Whatever I've tried to do to relieve it since, even standing still or sleeping in my own gorgeous 'Big Bed', I'm bound for my trusty Osteopath first thing Wednesday morning.....
                        Heywayne, I'm sure someone will want to be taller, and that you'll be able to make it happen for them jolly soon....!

Comment

I wouldn't mind being taller and I suspect hanging upside down would be appropriate since Madmax frequently calls me an 'old bat' or 'daft bat'

However, it would be a rather long trip to pick it up and I suspect cheaper for me to out and buy one locally.

Good luck finding it a new home Wayne.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X