Any of you artists?????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you artists?????

I have bought some canvasses from Homebase with the idea that over Easter I will get creative and do some artwork for our house. In the plastic covering are some little bits of wood - thick question - what do you do with them?????? I do hope someone out there is artistic and knows! I'd hate to go to all the creative effort then find out these bits of wood stop the canvas from rolling off the frame or something!!

Sweetcorn - after you have done your painting the canvas can get a bit stretched then goes taut when it dries. The little bits of wood go in the grooves in the frame at the back and prevent the frame from mishaping. I'm not sure when you are supposed to put them in! I always forget at the beginning - straight in with the paint me. I'm just a novice so if anyone can tell me when to put the things that would also help me.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I'm not an artist and I wasnt prepared to pay the ludicrous prices for art. So I got some of those boxed canvases from the £1 and a can of pright red car paint and sprayed 2 of them bright red it looks perfect someone asked where I got them from.

Comment

Originally posted by NSB View Post
        I'm not an artist and I wasnt prepared to pay the ludicrous prices for art. So I got some of those boxed canvases from the £1 and a can of pright red car paint and sprayed 2 of them bright red it looks perfect someone asked where I got them from.
        So now you have a red canvas on the wall?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          So now you have a red canvas on the wall?
          I am told it it very modern! I blame the House Doctor.

Each to their own.

I'm spoilt - Mum is a professional artist sometimes she gives me a painting.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcorn View Post
            I have bought some canvasses from Homebase with the idea that over Easter I will get creative and do some artwork for our house. In the plastic covering are some little bits of wood - thick question - what do you do with them?????? I do hope someone out there is artistic and knows! I'd hate to go to all the creative effort then find out these bits of wood stop the canvas from rolling off the frame or something!!
            You can use Acrylic or Oil based paints on canvas. I prefer Acrylic as you can use water to thin them and they don't stink.Also if you get some on your clothes you can wash it off with soapy water before it dries! Unlike watercolour though, once Acrylic is dry you can't re-wet it, but you CAN add more colour to it!

I normally put the wedges in at the beginning but it would probably be better to put them in after you have done your painting but before it has dried, which should tension the canvas whilst it dries?
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

All very fascinating! I've had a great time this afternoon. Covered in paint (me and canvasses), expressing myself I think it's called!

Wahoo, feel like a kid!

There were some little slots in the frame, and I found the bits of wood fitted into those. I remembered to do it with 4 out of the 5, but the fifth one I was so excited I got painting straight away and forgot.

Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcorn View Post
                All very fascinating! I've had a great time this afternoon. Covered in paint (me and canvasses), expressing myself I think it's called!

Wahoo, feel like a kid!

There were some little slots in the frame, and I found the bits of wood fitted into those. I remembered to do it with 4 out of the 5, but the fifth one I was so excited I got painting straight away and forgot.

Love it!
                Go on you!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

why dont you paint them and then once dry, with a different colour, chop a carrot or any other vegetable in half, dip in paint and press, you could use various colours, i have done this and it looks great, good presents too :-)
                  Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Hi sweetcorn, as I post have just part finished a canvass for the lounge, bit abstract really, got lots of prints I have made to surround it. I don't bother putting in the wedges for the frame unless I use a lot of paint on canvass. I have used oil based pastels with acrylic on top and then I am going to hi-light with permanent marker etc. post a pic when you're done. If you really get into the painting lark then can I suggest if you use something other than a canvass, Brusho, they're fab, high colour pigmented water colour, you can use on its own, or over pastels etc etc! Let me know how you get on

Comment

i do oils...never used the wedgy things...some of my pictures can be seen on the St.Gery website and no i have no idea how to do a link its SaintGery.com i think..... and then go to the art gallery page and behind my mate maureen you can see a couple of my efforts....but there again i wouldnt bother they are pretty boring.....mine arent the portraits just the old lady landscape things....
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Personally, I would invest in some art (why no?!), buy a decent print of an artists or put up the kids art work, I always cringe whenever i see anything else! Bit of a snob when it comes to what goes on my wall!! A fantastic picture would be a photo of your garden/allotment/ best plant in the garden which somewhere like tesco can print onto canvas quite cheaply.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X