Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carlseawolf View Post
    hi snadger,
    It just sounds like your dog is been a pup and will soon grow out of it , as it seams it may have to much energy to burn off.
    We are presently looking for a companion for our 7 year old female gsd , collie cross as we had her soul mate put to sleep in april due to her back legs going ( gsd female of 10 years ).
    I don't mean to preach on this one but anyone who is thinking of getting a dog try a rehoming centre before buying a puppy as alot of these dogs are already trained and will be a joy to own , where a puppy will need lots of time and training before it becomes a joy to own.
    My last dog tia was 3 when i got her and i was the 4th home due to the energy levels in the breed and people see dog owners that have properly trained there dogs walking them and think that looks good or even worse makes that person look mean / cool not thinking that person has put in time and effort to get the dog to do that.
    On our search we have found lots of rehoming centres and quite alot of under 18 month old gsd given up because there owners can't handle them and most likely paid a hefty price for a kc papered dog when there are many older dogs in re-homing centres that are papered and cute and trained so you can enjoy your animal from day one , and free up space for another dog to take it's place.
    Dogs arn't like children , they are intelligent , trainable and after abit you can even tell what they are thinking just by looking at them , where my kids i don't know what there thinking even when i talk to them.
    I would have preferred to have a rescue Shepherd as I've had one before from the GS rescue centre Best dog I ever had but unfortunately he was only with us for a couple of year before cancer took him away from us!
    My daughter has young kids and told us she wouldn't visit us if we had another rescue shepherd tho (understandable really I suppose) so we got a pup!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

yes snadger we have had the same problem with the centres because we have twins of 3 years they won't take the risk of re-homing a gsd to familys with children under 6 years.
      I'm not condeming people buying pups as there is nothing wrong in doing that as are other dog was bought from a pup , but people should consider the extra work involved especially in our hectic lifstyle we have in this country.
      i had the same problem with my partners gran as she had a bad experiance with a gsd as a teen and it took a couple of years to stay in a room with my dog where she found our other dog no problem .
      One of the centres we got in contact with said they don't re-home to familys with kids under 6 as it could ruin them with the bad press if something went wrong but put us in touch with someone with a 6 year male old long hair gsd that needed a new home, because it was a home to home tranfer and had nothing to do with them, the dog was unsuitable as it was big build and still lively and suited to adults only as it would knock over a young child. ( I must point out this was told to me by the present owner and the reason for re-homing was due to a divorce and not dogs behavior).
      Last edited by carlseawolf; 01-07-2008, 06:28 AM.
      ---) CARL (----
      ILFRACOMBE
      NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

i could do with some help with my dog ...... she's weird, insists on going outside to watch fireworks, and if it's raining won't go out till she has her mac on .... and unless she is going out or eating, she's asleep ... actually she's great and does what she's told lol except for pretending she's deaf ..... which i know is not true as she can hear a cat food packet opening with the stereo on loud, and the washer and tumble dryer working lol ........ she's also great at fetch ...... you throw the ball, she looks at it, looks at you and says .... you threw it you get it

Last edited by lynda66; 01-07-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesp View Post
          I think that last statement just sums up the complete lack of understanding of dogs in our care.
          LOL I haven't dressed her up yet though - tempting...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X