Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    I read today:

"Dow have now indicated that they are withdrawing products which contain aminopyralid from sale and PSD is formally suspending their authorisations whilst we investigate the options for preventing a recurrence of this problem. A key issue in our consideration will be whether the conditions of use regarding manure are sufficient, or sufficiently well known."
    It's a step forward Kristen But I hope the phrase "sufficiently well known" is not just a cop out.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

just sind it too
      we had come delivered about 3 months ago will it be ok how do we test it can we use it next year
      Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
      Dobby

Comment

"how do we test it can we use it next year"

Sadly no test available.

I think best is to check the provenance: ask if the chemical has been used on any pasture at the farm, or on any fodder bought in. The instructions on the product are clear, the farmer has a duty to inform any recipient of fodder, muck, slurry, etc.

If you have bought bagged products then this is not possible, of course, as there will be numerous sources.

You could try growing some Tom seedlings in it - I believe they are very susceptible.

You would need to get it mixed thoroughly with soil to neutralise it - stacking it in a heap doesn't break it down (or if it does its in years-timeframe, not weeks or months)

And make sure nothing is growing in the soil whilst it breaks down - the chemical can re-bind to the new plant material, and that just lengthens the process.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

"I hope the phrase "sufficiently well known" is not just a cop out"

Indeed. Does nothing for the issues that Pasture will have been sprayed this year (and next if farmers retain chemical). And that Fodder will be used the following Winter. And the cow sheds will be mucked out the summer following that, and stacked, and probably distributed after harvest - so towards that Winter.

Its looking like 2010 or 2011 before the problem declines ...

... I have yet to find a farmer who has even HEARD about this problem; so if their own Farmers Weekly rags, or whatever, are not getting the message across its just bang-head-against-wall for everyone else.
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X