Garden Injuries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
    If people could see what can happen if you don't wear boots.
    I worked in an engineering factory for many years & saw too many injuries to feet.
    When I was about 8or9 I was not allowed to use the garden fork but as I knew much better than my parents & they'd left it right there tempting me I went ahead & used it without their knowing & managed to go half way through my big toe!!As much pain as I was in there was no way I was going to own up to using it so tended said injury myself!10 years later I was in hospital having a lump sliced off said big toe!(I'd fractured the bone & it had started growing in the wrong direction!~I think it was called an "Extosis"?)" 2painfull operations later it's back to normal,I only let on to my mum a couple of weeks ago how it happened!(only nearly 30yrs later!)
    So ditto BW's advice re boots plus keep your forks away from the kiddies!!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

andi, sorry, but that made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
        andi, sorry, but that made me laugh out loud.
        T'is Di! You're forgiven for laughing! & BTW My mum & dad weren't total ogres!~I was just a stubborn kid who couldn't possibly admit to it & have to hear their "told you so's"!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Most of my "injuries" are bites that cause the affected body part to swell quite alarmingly albeit over a period of two or three days and boy do they itch. Yup I take antihistamines but the last one was on my forearm so looked quite alarming to the peeps I work with.
          Last edited by Earthbabe; 01-08-2008, 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
            Not a gardening injury as such , but a couple of years ago, whilst picking out my horses feet (cleaning the hooves ), I had an injured hand at the time, horsie moved suddenly and with not having a lot of grip in my poorly hand, I let go. He dropped the toe end of his hoof right on the bridge of my foot (I was only wearing wellies at the time). Being a good lad, he immediately picked his foot up but unfortunately, when he put it down again, it was on my toes on the same foot. I think he could sense something was wrong as he looked very apologetic. One of those times when one can neither move nor speak because of the pain.

Your's must be quite polite. When I get hurt, I swear that pony is laughing!

I'm a norty one for not wearing gloves. Trouble is, I have to wear nitrile gloves at work and so all the cuts sting like heck. You'd think I'd learn, but then 5 years of trimming horse's feet and I STILL don't wear gloves half the time, resulting in rasped thumbs. Not a good look!
            Last edited by SlugLobber; 01-08-2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Nearly poked my eye out the other day while in the greenhouse. Bent down fairly quickly and and a cane supporting an aubergine plant dug into my forehead missing my eye by a couple of inches. (Note to self, no sudden movements in greenhouse)

Comment

I never seem to come in from the garden unscathed. I react to every graze and prickle - after picking runner beans I look like I have a nasty attack of plague, I only have to look at a pampas grass to break out in nasty long strands of rash - most attractive. Thankfully nothing serious, but I've been reading carefully and I'm not going to garden in my flip flops again!
                Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by gemlady View Post
                  Nearly poked my eye out the other day while in the greenhouse. Bent down fairly quickly and and a cane supporting an aubergine plant dug into my forehead missing my eye by a couple of inches. (Note to self, no sudden movements in greenhouse)

Canes are pesky things, setting out a Land Rover trial a few years ago a cane shard went through my hand didn't quite come out the other side but lodged - had to have a mini operation to take the darned thing out.

Horses feet - my lot positively aim to tread on my feet
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                    If people could see what can happen if you don't wear boots.
                    I worked in an engineering factory for many years & saw too many injuries to feet.
                    I am a member of the 'Golden boot Club' when an ingot dropped on my foot at the steel works.I had steel capped boots on luckily. It still crushed the steel cap and my foot was pouring of blood, but without the steel cap I wouldn't have had a foot!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by gemlady View Post
                      After various facial injuries caused by garden canes I decided they all had to have tops on. Didnt want to spend too much money doing it tho, so decided to use the plastic balls from my kids old ball pit. They do the job very well and look nice and colourful.
                      Jules AKA Inca'smum

Comment

Lots of gardening injuries, mainly my feet so now always wear good shoes or my beloved wellies, even if the sun is shining I always wear my bikini while gardening lol!

Comment

well i mean only if it's hot, not in the rain lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X