'I only eat supermarket food'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I only eat supermarket food'

A friend of mine came over to pick up the organic pork I collected from the farmer last night.

I made her a cuppa and one for the chap that was doing some work on our windows. I asked him if he and his girlfriend ate pork as it was such a good deal and he told me that his girlfriend would only eat food that came from the supermarket. She won't touch homegrown fruit, veg, fresh eggs, homemade jams, chutney, etc and insists that everything must come shrink wrapped, on polystyrene trays or in tins or jars from T****s!

I'm completely gobsmacked, Do you know anyone like this?

No, thank goodness, I don't! But I have heard of this kind of thing, where people consider freshly picked veg etc. to be 'dirty', and wrapped food to be 'clean'. A bit obsessive?!! I'd wonder how many times she cleans her loo/washes her hands as well...

Comment

I think one of the favourites is if you keep chooks for free range eggs. How many times have I heard "..and are the eggs alright to eat?". Where do they think supermarket eggs come from?
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

All the more for us then .

This may be a bit contentious but I have noticed that new veg growers are concerned about the edibility of their veg if it has a slight deformity or blemish. I think the supermarkets selling their class I produce has a lot to answer for this view that all veg grows perfectly and if not then somehow it is tainted and not fit to eat.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          No, thank goodness, I don't! But I have heard of this kind of thing, where people consider freshly picked veg etc. to be 'dirty', and wrapped food to be 'clean'. A bit obsessive?!! I'd wonder how many times she cleans her loo/washes her hands as well...
          I thinkthat is why people get sick so easily because they are too clean.
          Last edited by bubblewrap; 22-08-2008, 06:49 PM.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
            All the more for us then .

This may be a bit contentious but I have noticed that new veg growers are concerned about the edibility of their veg if it has a slight deformity or blemish. I think the supermarkets selling their class I produce has a lot to answer for this view that all veg grows perfectly and if not then somehow it is tainted and not fit to eat.
            Agree entirely.............and you beat me to it with the "All the more for us" quip!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
              A friend of mine came over to pick up the organic pork I collected from the farmer last night.

I made her a cuppa and one for the chap that was doing some work on our windows. I asked him if he and his girlfriend ate pork as it was such a good deal and he told me that his girlfriend would only eat food that came from the supermarket. She won't touch homegrown fruit, veg, fresh eggs, homemade jams, chutney, etc and insists that everything must come shrink wrapped, on polystyrene trays or in tins or jars from T****s!

So she prefers the stuff grown with chemicals & zapped with radio activity?
              Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                I think one of the favourites is if you keep chooks for free range eggs. How many times have I heard "..and are the eggs alright to eat?". Where do they think supermarket eggs come from?
                The Fridge?
                Brian Clough

Comment

She's 20, do you think she'll grow out of it?

Comment

If you've never know anything else, and haven't had family that grew their own; then she won't know the difference.

Comment

My middle daughter is a bit like that - she'll happily have runner beans and courgettes from me, but won't touch my onions or potatoes. She buys hers from A**a, and I've got loads.

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg
                        Err yeah. The OH's brother catches fresh fish (sea and fresh water) and shoots pheasants. The m-i-l won't eat them, gives them away and gets them from the supermarket instead!
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I can understand the (borderline OCD?) 'cleanliness' issues but they just seem so terribly misguided! I mean, how many potentially grubby hands have say, beans from Kenya passed through before arriving on the supermarket shelves? Certainly rather more than the ones picked this morning on a nearby farm or lottie Shrink wrapped and cosmetically washed certainly doesn't mean 'clean'!
                          I was feeling part of the scenery
                          I walked right out of the machinery
                          My heart going boom boom boom
                          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Ive got a mate who is pretty obsessive on the cleaning /hand scrubbing front but she grows he own veg on her allotment

Just goes to show there's nowt as strange as folk
                            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                              I can understand the (borderline OCD?) 'cleanliness' issues but they just seem so terribly misguided! I mean, how many potentially grubby hands have say, beans from Kenya passed through before arriving on the supermarket shelves? Certainly rather more than the ones picked this morning on a nearby farm or lottie Shrink wrapped and cosmetically washed certainly doesn't mean 'clean'!
                              I spent some "inbetween time"working at a fruit & veg packing factory~never used to wash supermarket apples~do now!!!can only speak for that factory but basically washed meant~steeped in smelly not very often changed water~onto conveyer belt to be dried.Sure they were cleaner before being cleaned than after!!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X