No announcement yet.

'I only eat supermarket food'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as my dad used to say a bit of muck never hurt anyone.........i'd rather my muck intake was from my veggies rather than transported 1000's of miles and treated with god knows what
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

My OH, gets very funny with the produce I bring home, it has to be washed, before it comes in the door. The lettuces get stripped of any leaves that have small holes in them as a slug has crawled across it!!

I'm not going to discuss the small holes in potatoes and what might have caused them!. I think it all stems from the time my dad brought purple sprouting into out home 12 years ago, and the following day a load of flies flew out!!. She's been very wary of anything he has brought into the house ever since!
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

sons g/f won't touch dirt (without rubber gloves) yet she cant wait to taste stuff from the garden, she even tried turnip, and although she didn't like it, it's a real turn up considering 2 years ago, she wouldn't eat anything that didn't come out of a tin or a packet, and she even eats my tomato soup, cos it's better than heinz.

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
          All the more for us then .

This may be a bit contentious but I have noticed that new veg growers are concerned about the edibility of their veg if it has a slight deformity or blemish. I think the supermarkets selling their class I produce has a lot to answer for this view that all veg grows perfectly and if not then somehow it is tainted and not fit to eat.
          LOL - i am a new veg grower and dont care about the deformity at all, the more manure the better i say LOL!

None so strange as folk, but then again as she is only 20, where did she get it from?? I only have a small plot at home and really want a larger one, to grow more, but i am grateful for the lovely taste and i am gutted that my carrots are all ready yet!!

Comment

I've had children tell me, when offered home made bread and jam, that Mummy byes real bread and real jam from the Co-op.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My daughter often runs around with a grubby face, hands etc and some question why I let her. My view is, a bit of dirt won't hurt and she is rarely poorly. She'll pull a carrot from the ground, wipe it on her trousers and eat it quite happily. She won't eat frozen peas, but will munch them straight from the pod.
              We've got a hell of a way to go before I'm bringing home veg for every meal but you can really taste the difference.
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                I've had children tell me, when offered home made bread and jam, that Mummy byes real bread and real jam from the Co-op.
                reminds me of when my dad took my friends 3yo to pick some tomatos from the greenhouse & 3yo said "tomatos come from tesco not your garden"
                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hans Mum - what does 3yo mean please?
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                    Hans Mum - what does 3yo mean please?
                    3 year old as in child

remember my son when he was little asking for something and i said i haven't any pennies, he said then go to the cash bank and get some, it always gives you pennies (unfortunately he didn't understand the concept of having to put the pennies in first) ...... see pennies come from banks, food comes from supermarkets
                    Last edited by lynda66; 22-08-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

D 's the same!can't understand why daddy has to go to work when we could just go to the cash machine!
                      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
                        A friend of mine came over to pick up the organic pork I collected from the farmer last night.

I made her a cuppa and one for the chap that was doing some work on our windows. I asked him if he and his girlfriend ate pork as it was such a good deal and he told me that his girlfriend would only eat food that came from the supermarket. She won't touch homegrown fruit, veg, fresh eggs, homemade jams, chutney, etc and insists that everything must come shrink wrapped, on polystyrene trays or in tins or jars from T****s!

I'm completely gobsmacked, Do you know anyone like this?
                        She'd starve if she lived here, that's for sure - another example of the UK's obsession, fuelled by the supermarkets, for wrapping everything - that's what the fruit and veggies skin is for, why plastic wrap bananas and pineapples for goodness sake?
                        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

On another note:

The EU apparently has rules and regulations about size of fruit and veg; remember the kiwis having to be thrown away when they were 1mm too small?

Well, whilst in France - Tony you might confirm this - the supermarkets had veg of all shapes and sizes; so is it that we are taking the EU rulings to the letter, or that France ignores it - or that the EU rulings aren't as strict as they say and that actually, it is all a conspiracy here in the UK???

Comment

No our idiot suits take the law to the letter, they say the French use it as a start to negotiations.

I was bought up with allotment food, rabbits etc but my sister thinks I'm too righteous over recycling and she doesn't cook unless it's ready made - she can't be bothered. My mum jokes that my sister wouldn't even begin to think about growing her own. Don't know what went wrong there.
                            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I know what you mean.

My brother and SIL bought the bit of land at the back of their house - ok it is on various levels but I would give anything to have that much land on the back of the house.

I know they have 2 kids, and my Bro works a good hour's drive away but I just couldn't leave it without doing something with it. A shame as he is a trained chef and I'd have thought just growing some spuds, onions and carrots would have appealed to him.

I'd have had raised beds, compost heap, poppies and wild flowers around the fences, and fruit bushes in a matter of weeks. They have some blackcurrant bushes and enjoy them - but that's it. Oh, and a greenhouse of course, I'd have to get one for the toms as they live in Wales!

Their oldest daughter [5] is on route with my mum [a keen gardener who can't wait to get her hands on their garden, once the granny flat is converted over the garage!], for 2 days with us, and I'm hoping to entice her with my veg garden and lottie. I did provide them with several tomato plants earlier in the year and the she ate the toms when red straight off the plant; so hopefully I have hope of getting her hooked.

I think for the next few years, I'm going to do bits to their garden for birthdays/xmas etc. Knock up a raised bed or two, and a compost frame and take it down there for them. Just wish I still had my Nissan Navara to chuck it in the back; I'll have to take the wood and drill etc down there to finish it off now as it wouldn't fit in the car ready made.
                              Last edited by zazen999; 23-08-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

when we had ducks and chooks it took ages to convince my mum that duck eggs were "safe" to eat, and when we took them eggs she would sat "are they fresh?" compared to what exactly? they were layed yesterday.
                                Yo an' Bob
                                Walk lightly on the earth
                                take only what you need
                                give all you can
                                and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X