X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would we do without you ntg?
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Nick... I think you should be our resident 'bottom ' person!

Being from a medical background ... I think you should have the title of something like 'bottom man'
      you could comment on all aspects of beetroot....etc etc...

Oh the power .......!!!
      Last edited by Nicos; 01-09-2006, 06:41 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
        The ads dont really bother me as I scoot straight past them. The Idea of the forum being upgraded sounds good but please use people off the site who garden in "real" situations using real methods. I want to know how people with limited budgets, space and time get on, not listen to somebody who may have written 30 books but has 3 helpers, is sponsored by Thompson and Morgan and who gardens 5 acres.
        I can go with that PW. Why should I want to know how someone in "Kew" grows their stuff - There's only me to do my gardening

The same ethos can be utilised in the magazine, the small article in the mag about my allotment just gave you a peek into my world, a real world that all of you can actually visualise and make some sense of. How cheap would it be David to use your hoards of wild forum veg growers to liase with your article writers to produce some really interesting articles that are new and unique, not regurtitated from another article written 4 years ago. I would love to be involved in that, and boy do I have some ideas.
        The times I've picked a book up thinking it would be usefull only to find it's been written by some numpty who has just re-worked several other books. Thats why I like Geoff Hamilton, at least a lot of his ideas were fresh.

Another thing about the mag, bin the posh recipes, I am sure we all have loads of cookery books (home grown veg instantly makes you a foody) for that sort of think, bring in those really helpful tips .
        If I wanted to eat in le maison auk quatre whatever it is I'd do the lottery!! I'm sure the food is excellant but most folks these day's (me included ) get home from work & just about have enough time to grab a sarnie & a cuppa as they rush out into the garden to grow the bloody stuf !

You have a 1000 members using the forum, what a resource is that at your disposal, and whats best for me, the forum is still about gardening, not about egos or argueing or the state of the Eu.
        Don't get me started on the EU Thats one lot of Brussels that ought to have caterpillar damage!! It is a huge resource 1000 people that if tapped corectly would be brilliant.

As to your earlier question about where would I put them no I shall resist temptation I think the bottom of the page would be fine, although you probably wouldn't get so many hits but whats more important Hit's on ads or folks on the forum?
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Oh Nick
          Get sampleing this years rhubarb scnapps!!

You are so well respected on this site...gather to and head down ( so to speak)
          Am glad you have aired your views ...so few of us have our moments .
          Is good to let others know that their gut feelings are also represented...good to be part of a team!!

Comment

I think that this might turn into a "suggestions on how to make the best veggie growing mag even better" type of thread, so maybe a Mod could set one up whereby us grapes could put forward suggestions, ideas etc (or equally vent our frustrations) direct to the PTB ?
            Just an idea, but as has already been pointed out, we now number over a thousand, we all have opinions and we all are majorly enthusiastic about veg or we would not participate in the 'vine to the extent that a lot of us do, so maybe we should be considered as a major resource for info, ideas, features etc. - If I'm rambling on it's cause I've had a few - gonna have some more later on too !!
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Found it!

Jax started this one for suggestions to the mag a while back.

Please feel free to post suggestions for the mag in here if you want

Don't ask me how to 'name the link'. It's titled "Magazine wish list for 2006 "

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...read.php?t=202
              Last edited by Shortie; 01-09-2006, 08:10 PM. Reason: Added thread title
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Sorry about the last post folks, My Daughter says I was Ranting a bit. Well I've had one of my pills & a cuppa so I'm calm now...I SAID I WAS CALM DIDN'T I

I do feel quite passionate about the vine as I think it is an excellent site & source of information, (even I learn things eh Shortie !)hence the soapbox. So if it apeared a rant it wasn't ..... except the bit about the EU, they really get up my .. hey, how can I type if you fasten my sleeves up behind my back and hmmhmhm
                ntg

Comment

Me too Nick
                  to me if feels like a bunch of mates just helping each other out.
                  I have found this advertising stuff really intrusive as I feel we are all part of a family .....all new ideas so very welcome.
                  I don't like to feel pressurised into buying/funding adverts, and I would like to think that we as veggrowers actually have a bit of street cred rather than being fodder 'to the great unknown'
                  I love to lean about life experiences and enjoy following websites suggested by fellow 'clan members'
                  Just want to get back to the feeling of 'mutual enhancement' ( oh sorry if that sounds so 21st Centuary!! )

Comment

Originally posted by seedsforsuccess@fsmail.ne View Post
                    Well I quite honsetly don't like them,they are placed right at the top of the page making it so you have to scroll down to see the posts,. couldn't you put them down the side or along the bottom ???
                    But in time I think we will all just get used to themafter a few weeks
                    I'm glad to see you are totally unbiased Adam

Click image for larger version

Name:	S4S.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2317995
                    ntg

Comment

I have to agree with you LJ. I understand why it's being done It's just in your face that's all maybe a smaller font ... how about 2pt

My post was tongue in cheek (as usual) but Adam could have just kept quiet so good on him for agreeing with us.
                      ntg

Comment

Can I keep out of this one ??
                        Nick I can't change the font of the text it has to be the fixed size that it is now or bigger, you don't want it bigger do you ??

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                          Rat our new Editor Paul has already picked up on the point that the grapevine is a marvellous source of information, ideas and advice.
                          Yes I noticed the little piccy and what's hot etc. in the latest mag. I think it's great for us to get a little press.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Keep the ads. if they bring in revenue!
                            You are never too old to learn

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                              Yes I noticed the little piccy and what's hot etc. in the latest mag. I think it's great for us to get a little press.
                              Two littles....I mean too little!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Can I just say that the forum made me aware of the mag.

After joining the forum I bought my first gyo mag!

Story of my life really, I do everything ##se first! Lol
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X