Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think about saving seeds for next few years

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52544317

Time to think about saving some seeds for the next few years people.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Absolutely!
    ...have to say though, that its fantastic to see so many people taking an interest in growing their own fruit and veg!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yes, good time to give this a heads up as I often forget until I’ve pulled something up This year I’m saving beans; Coco Bicolour, Painted Pony, Monachelle de Trevoi, Tomatoes; Japanese Black Trifele, Purple Russian, Sugar Italian Plum and some others, plus landcress and Red Grenoble lettuce. All pretty easy to save seed from to share with others next year
      All at once I hear your voice
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

And if I may add - saved seed is only as good, when you come to want to germinate it again, as the conditions you store it in. So a bit of a plan including a dry and cold place where you can put your newly saved seeds is also something to consider - I'm no expert on this, but in the olden days, silica gel packets to absorb moisture from the air used to be thought useful to put with old envelopes full of seed.

Comment

I always save my own peas (Hurst greenshaft), french beans (dwarf for eating green pods - no idea on variety) and a dwarf for drying, again no idea but from a supermarket packet I bought on holiday about 10 years ago and also a climbing bean (soissons) again for drying. garlic and shallots, and this year potatoes (currently under fleece) kestrel, vitabella and rocket and carolus and harmony main.
          I'm hoping to save some tomatoes as well but last few years been plagued with tomato leaf mould that can infect the seeds.

Also on my potential list is waltham butternut squash and also a heritage onion up-to-date but I only sowed these this year so it will be the year after I can save seeds for spring 2022 - if I'm still here.
          Another one is quinoa, I've sowed 2 varieties and find it quite an easy crop to grow. Harvesting is a bit finicky but you can listen to music or the radio while you're at it.
          I tried saving sweetcorn a couple of times. The first time it was fine but the next year the cobs were awful. but I'm not far from a field that is always used for maize and think that must have contaminated my seeds so I don't bother with that.
          I find saved seed germinates a lot better than shop bought generally. I've never bothered too much with the conditions the seeds are kept in except that they are store dry. the peas and beans in a dry corner in our living room in old margerine tubs. Lawerence D Hills recomended a 'dry dark drawer'.

Comment

Wonder if this link will work...

complete seed saving guidelines from garden organic...

A course I did a few years ago...

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/seed-saving-guidelines

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X