Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH has just nipped out and gleefully told me it’s 41C in the shade and the slate roof tiles ( in full sun) are 72C
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Lovely well and bathroom facility stories.

I might have mentioned this before but maybe not. A few years back, Mr Snoop got it into his head that the well needed cleaning. Usually this is done by a professional company, it seems. However, his idea was to go down, fill up buckets with whatever sludge he could scoop up and someone else would haul them up and dispose of said sludge (muggins here being the said someone else). A couple of friends got quite interested in the proposal, so said they'd come and help (meaning watch). Anyway, Mr Snoop managed to get an array of ladders roped together and lowered into the well. This took a lot of effort and time. Then he tied a rope round his middle, just in case, he said, though I had visions of it cutting him in half if we needed to pull on it. And down he went. Only to reach the bottom and discover that the sludge was sucking him in and he didn't like it even though it probably wasn't very deep (one rung on the ladder deep). Maybe he had visions of unknown sci-fi film beasties swirling round his legs. Anyway, back up he came. It was a lot of effort to climb up the ladders apparently (I think of the scene every time someone in Star Trek goes climbing up the Jefferies Tubes or some other hero type climbs miles up a lift shaft and makes it look like a piece of cake). The ladders are still down there. I reminded Mr Snoop of this a few weeks back when he was looking for a ladder and he was most affronted that I should think they were never going to be retrieved. I have no idea how he thinks he's going to manage to lift them out but that's not my problem.

To cap it all, we had an impressive iron structure over the well fitted with wires that vines were trained up to provide shade for the donkey. What with all the shenanigans, this collapsed. What was once a lovely well with a bit of sludge at the bottom is now a less than lovely well with a bit of sludge at the bottom. When I raised the ladder with him, I mentioned sorting the well out. His reply was it's not today's problem. And I can't fault him on that, much as it's a sad sight.

Right, rant over.

GF, hope the blood test results are good.

Comment

• Snoop some of Mr GF's harebrained schemes and DIY have driven me to distraction in the past....but yes occasionally I have been prevailed upon to "help" him with them. I still have occasional flashbacks about being lowered headfirst down into a boat locker in a very tight space to sort out the water system..... I also remember climbing on a roof in a thunderstorm to turn all the tiles around 180° as "some idiot" had put them all on the wrong way round and of course we found this out the next time there was a thunderstorm and the water poured in. Fortunately it was a small roof.

I'm not surprised my hair is grey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          OH has just nipped out and gleefully told me it’s 41C in the shade and the slate roof tiles ( in full sun) are 72C
          Hot, hot, hot.

I can see part of my veg path from the bedroom window. Everything is looking flattened. We've just had some gusts of very hot wind... Hope everything perks up when it cools down (relatively speaking).

Comment

• evening all,hahaha,you never know whats going to crop up on here ,it makes me smile,snoop them smiles have really done me good,thank them from me, ,isnt it sticky tonight,hope i can sleep,night night,sweet dreams
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Yup - really lovely enjoying reading about everyone’s adventures! Thanks for sharing

Although very warm, last night was doable and I actually crashed out!
              We even spotted a solitary glow worm in the garden. Not seen one for years. Let’s hope others join it!

OH has nipped out for more hen food and seeing as the farm supplies shop is a two minute drive from a fabulous bakery , I’ve got a strange feeling he won’t resist the little detour!

More hiding indoors for me, and if the forecasts are correct then temperatures should start dropping soon.
              Keep cool and hydrated peeps!

Having said that…..who’s up for a brew?

Comment

• Good morning. Where is everybody?

It was a hot night but I did get a few hours sleep. The temperature is now climbing sharply. Only one aim today....keeping cool!

Comment

• Morning Nicos, missed you there!

Comment

• Mornin gf. OH said he felt yesterday was a bit of a wasted day but in reality , it was good to sit and read, sort out a few emails, munch through some ice cream and just zen out a bit
                    Must be hard for those who have to go to work

Comment

• No day spent resting is ever truly wasted is my view. I think an afternoon nap is on the cards for me today. If I'm lucky...

Anyway, morning all.

Glad you enjoyed the smiles, LD. They're in a proper jolly mood today after a good watering session and wander round the veg patches. On the downside, don't ask me how, but a mole has found its way in among my red pepper plants up in my veg patch by the house. Grr, grr and triple grr. So far I've lost about 15% of my onions to moles down in the fields and they've just started on the leeks. And now my pepper plants, which this year are among my pride and joys (sorry about blowing my own trumpet). Pride comes before a fall and all... Anyway, it was a nice wander round the patches and the smiles did enjoy it. Didn't manage to tie up any toms, but will try and get a grip on that tomorrow.

Busy day again at the computer but starting to feel like things are just about getting under control. Phew. Can't keep this up for much longer.

Would I like a brew? Probably not, Nicos, but tell your OH I'll have a proper French butter croissant while he's at the bakery.

Stay cool, everyone. Eat ice cream for me. And have a great day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Mornin gf. OH said he felt yesterday was a bit of a wasted day but in reality , it was good to sit and read, sort out a few emails, munch through some ice cream and just zen out a bit
                        Must be hard for those who have to go to work
                        I did notice that my postman, who normally comes around at about 11 am was here very early this morning......obviously a better time for him to work.

Comment

• Morning

Its coffee time here been doing hose stuff before it gets to hot

Plenty of ice teas in the fridge and south curtains are closed for the day. can't think of much else to to prepare for days weather.

Enjoy your day
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Darn …Snoop ….OH only brought back a couple of pain aux raisins and warm seeded baguette…..so I had to eat them

I’llask him to bring two butter croissants back for you next time
                            Last edited by Nicos; 19-07-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all,a pint for me please,cold water only,not looking forwards to the schoool run this afternoon,but that will be the last one for now,they on holiday from thursday afternoon,so will have them with me for a few hours,unless grandad is free,must put some more water to chill in the fridge,and put the bottle in the freezer until it is chilled down,wrap it in a clean towel first,ahhhhhh bliss,cheaper than a fan also,west is the best plan if you are able have a good day,
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• I decided to brave the supermarket this morning..... Joy!! It was nearly empty of shoppers and so cool Mr GF actually needed a fleece on!🥶 Then when we went back outdoors it was as if we'd walked onto an oven. There is a breeze now ...but a HOT breeze. I've got towels out to dry and I think they'll dry faster than they ever would in a tumble drier.

One of my neighbours has promised to do a "rain dance" tonight! If it works I might just go out and dance in the rain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X